PS3 breaks UK sales record
UK stats agency Chart-Track has revealed this evening that the newly released PlayStation 3 console is the fastest-selling UK console ever, having shifted a whopping 165,000 units during the system's first two days on sale.
By comparison, the Wii console chucked out 105,000 units over its debut weekend, the Xbox 360 70,000, though it is worth remembering that these consoles were hampered by stock shortages at launch. By contrast, Sony made 220,000 units available to the UK from the off, out of a 1 million total delivered to PAL regions.
While the PS3 may be the fastest selling lounge-box in UK history, the record for gaming hardware still lies elsewhere, albeit still with Sony. The PSP sold 185,000 units during its debut weekend, statisticians will be interested to note.
A good start then, but it remains to be seen whether consumers will take to the console en masse, with stocks still available in most retailers. We should have a better idea of the PS3's draw when the initial 220,000 units are gone and Sony beginning re-stocking shelves. We'll keep you posted, naturally.
- The Vanishing Of Ethan Carter gets a PC release date
- Sony schedules PSN maintenance for Monday
- Warframe update 14 hits PS4 as it closes in on 10 million registered users
- Bungie releases the official Destiny launch gameplay trailer
- Codemasters releases a new Austria hotlap video for F1 2014
- Eden Hazard joins Lionel Messi on the cover of FIFA 15
- PS Vita getting a five-game Adventure Mega Pack hardware bundle
- Lords Of The Fallen has “a steep learning curve”
- PS4 trailer arrives for Dreamfall Chapters, and some screenshots too