PS3 is out in Australia
Over 500 specialist electronic and game stores opened across Australia on the stroke of midnight Thursday to usher in the debut of the PlayStation 3 console.
GameSpot Australia reports that the epi-centre of the PS3 launch down-under was the Pitt St Mall branch of Myer's in Sydney. The launch event was held in conjunction with Sony Computer Entertainment Australia, with free entertainment on-hand for gamers joining the queue to be the first to experience Sony's answer to the next-generation of gaming (or should we be calling it Game 3.0?).
A cheerful crowd of just under 100 fans were in the queue at Myer's to get their console come midnight, with Lizzie Lovett on-hand to countdown to the midnight launch, after gamers had enjoyed a free screening of Casino Royale in the line.
The seventy or so gamers turning up for the Sydney launch at Myer's is already being compared with the Xbox 360's launch at the same location, which drew crowds of over 1,000 about a year ago. Other reports suggest similar midnight openings also only drew modest crowds.
While the launch has hardly drawn fervent crowds then, Aussie retailers are still claiming it to have been a success, with Myer's taking over 2 million AUD in pre-orders. Sony claim a total of 20 million AUD worth of pre-orders have been taken ahead of the PS3s launch. Stock availability remains unclear at present.
- New Assassin's Creed: Unity patch is a bit on the large side
- Wonder what Zombie mode looks like for Call Of Duty: Advanced Warfare? Here's a trailer
- Xbox 360 Titanfall players getting a massive update next week
- Ubisoft pulls the Assassin's Creed: Unity Season Pass, offering free DLC and games to apologize for the problems with the game
- Dark Souls migration over to Steam delayed into next month now
- Sony to give partial refunds to PS Vita early adopters over misleading launch advertising
- And here's the goodies that Games With Gold will get you in December
- Nival announces beta access and a massive gun for pre-ordering Blitzkrieg 3
- Evolve developers promise that all map DLC will be free