Bringing beneficial experiences to the player is number one priority says Jonathan Blow
In talking about his latest project The Witness, Jonathan Blow has revealed that, while making a profit on the game would be nice it is not his top priority.
Blow explained in the latest in a series of developer videos created in conjunction with Sony for the PS4 that his number one priority in making The Witness is to provide players with the most beneficial gameplay experience that they can.
"I would definitely like to make our money back on [The Witness] and I'd like to make a profit on it," Blow stated. "But, it's not actually the number one priority, right."
He went on, "The number one priority is to make the best possible game that we can make that brings the most beneficial experience to the players. That's absolutely number one."
"The game is a multi-layered thing and every layer is absolutely the best that we know how to make. So when you go in, if you are just interested in a puzzle game and you're not really looking at story or philosophy or anything like that, there is a really good puzzle game there," the Braid creator added. "But if you want to read further then that there's other layers. And, that's sort of that provision for deeper engagement that allows for that little bit of ambiguity or that little bit of like 'I didn't totally understand it' but then when you go look at it closely, open it up you discover there's a huge ton of stuff in there."
The Witness is in development on the PS4 and we expect it to be a launch window title. It's also a timed console exclusive on the PS4.
- Valve's Chet Faliszek has been confirmed as the first developer session for EGX Rezzed 2015
- One area from Zelda Wii U is as big as the entirety of Skyward Sword
- Telltale's new collaboration is with Mojang, on a Minecraft story game
- Franklin voice actor indicates GTA V story DLC is on the way
- Red Dead Redemption, LA Noire and Bully sequels will come when the time is right says Rockstar
- Telltale teases another collaboration with another game developer
- New Company Of Heroes 2: Ardennes Assault trailer recognizes the 70th anniversary of the Battle of the Bulge
- New Call Of Duty: Advanced Warfare trailer focuses on character customization
- Splash Damage's free-to-play shooter Dirty Bomb coming to Steam in the new year