Miyamoto plans GDC speech
Nintendo game design luminary Shigeru Miyamoto, the man dubbed the 'Spielberg of video games' by Time Magazine, will deliver a keynote speech opening the Game Developers Conference on the 8th of March.
The Ninty game development guru is expected to speak to more than 12,000 industry people at the event, 2007 marking the first keynote from the designer since 1999.
"I think it is safe to say that every member of the community has at one time or another fantasized about having Shigeru Miyamoto as a mentor and teacher," GDC Executive Director Jamil Moledina commented, describing the speech as a privilege. "His views on the past, present, and future of gaming are particularly relevant," added analyst Mike Goodman.
In the speech, Miyamoto is expected to discuss his work and vision, touching upon the key Nintendo series he is behind, Mario, Zelda, et al, and the evolution of innovative hardware like the Wii.
"There's no way Miyamoto would have given the keynote at GDC three years ago. It was a secondary show. This is indicative of the increasing importance of GDC to game developers," Goodman concluded. The GDC is widely expected to play host to more important news and more influential industry events this year, in the wake of E3's absence from the gaming calendar. More soon.
- Valve's Chet Faliszek has been confirmed as the first developer session for EGX Rezzed 2015
- One area from Zelda Wii U is as big as the entirety of Skyward Sword
- Telltale's new collaboration is with Mojang, on a Minecraft story game
- Franklin voice actor indicates GTA V story DLC is on the way
- Red Dead Redemption, LA Noire and Bully sequels will come when the time is right says Rockstar
- Telltale teases another collaboration with another game developer
- New Company Of Heroes 2: Ardennes Assault trailer recognizes the 70th anniversary of the Battle of the Bulge
- New Call Of Duty: Advanced Warfare trailer focuses on character customization
- Splash Damage's free-to-play shooter Dirty Bomb coming to Steam in the new year