Alien RPG from Obsidian, FPS from Gearbox?
A couple of days ago we reported that Sega had lapped-up the rights to create a new series of games based on the Alien film licence, after a deal was struck with the movies' rights holder Fox. At the time, an RPG and an FPS were promised, though no details were made specific, as the games are not expected to be ready for several years. Today however we do learn a few gobbits about one of the new titles, which will be developed for next-generation systems by Obsidian Entertainment.
The Alien RPG may have only just surfaced, however we've been aware that Obsidian were partnering with Sega on a new role-playing game since March of this year, the publisher at the time confirming the game would be created for the PC, PS3 and Xbox 360 - without revealing what the game would be. Obsidian have in the past worked on Knights of the Old Republic II, CEO Feargus Urquhart stating it is "a great honour" to now work on the Alien franchise.
Clearly the developer's experience with major film names helped win over Sega, Simon Jeffery explaining they were "the only developer for us that could effectively combine the Alien mythology with compelling RPG gameplay to create the ultimate Alien experience".
Elsewhere, speculation mounts that Brothers in Arms developer Gearbox could also be working on the Alien FPS, an early version of the official website, subsequently yanked, mentioning both Gearbox and Obsidian. More soon.
- Report finds that the 100 USD tier of Assassin's Creed: Unity's microtransactions is completely unnecessary
- Final Fantasy Type-0 HD gets a new trailer
- Bungie deconstructs their latest Destiny patch, hints at what is coming next
- DayZ creator Dean Hall could join UK studio Improbable
- Shadow Of Mordor arrives on last-gen consoles
- David Braben apologises for ditching Elite: Dangerous's offline mode, outlines refund criteria
- Microsoft celebrates the 1st birthday of the Xbox One with free access to Sunset Overdrive
- Hacker group leaks account details for thousands of PSN, Origin, Windows Live and 2K Game Studios accounts
- RedLynx promises online multiplayer is coming to Trials Fusion early next year