PS3 suffers launch review ignominy
An interesting news report this morning on Slashdot.org looks at the early ratings that new Wii and PS3 titles are receiving in the initial weeks following launch. Citing a 1UP.com piece investigating whether the PS3's launch was the 'worst ever', the article actually discovered that the first PlayStation boasted the lowest review averages of any new games console. With the Wii being the suprise loser in the current 'next-gen' battle.
Of the twenty titles supporting the Wii's launch review scores average 71.3%, with the PlayStation 3's 73.4% taking second, to the Xbox 360's 77.3%. Despite coming in a surprise last in 1UP's survey, then, the Wii also boasts the best launch title - according to the reviewers - by some margin. The Legend of Zelda: The Twilight Princess enjoys ratings averaging 96.2%, compared to the Xbox 360 hit Call of Duty 2's 90.1% and the PS3 Resistance: Fall of Man's 89.2%.
The best launch game ever was in fact Soul Calibur on the Dreamcast, according to 1UP, who reckon the GameCube boasted the strongest ever debut, averaging 79.4%.
"Averages are just that, though, and don't tell you much about the best games that accompanied the launches. And the best of the batch wasn't a surprise, but it wasn't a Nintendo game either. Soul Caliber for the Dreamcast, with an average of 96.4 just barely squeaks out the win over the Legend of Zelda: The Twilight Princess for Wii. At the other end of the spectrum, both Wii and PS3 share the worst stinkers with Happy Feet for Wii coming in at a 45 and Gundam: Crossfire at the very bottom with its 34.8," concluded the 1UP expose. It is worth noting that the PS3 was adjudged better than the original Xbox, based on the early review ratings. More on this as we get it.
- Codemasters releases a teaser for F1 2015
- Total War: Arena gameplay unveiled
- Warner Bros bringing Batman's cowl and cape from Batman: Arkham Knight to MCM Comic-Con this weekend
- Red Thread gives an update on Dreamfall Chapters Book Three
- Sony releases a pretty 1080p gameplay video of God Of War III on PS4
- Techland shelves Hellraid to focus on Dying Light
- Don't Starve gets a release date for the Wii U
- Here's the trailer for the next episode of Telltale's Game Of Thrones
- Bloodborne will see DLC before the end of the year