PS3 suffers launch review ignominy
An interesting news report this morning on Slashdot.org looks at the early ratings that new Wii and PS3 titles are receiving in the initial weeks following launch. Citing a 1UP.com piece investigating whether the PS3's launch was the 'worst ever', the article actually discovered that the first PlayStation boasted the lowest review averages of any new games console. With the Wii being the suprise loser in the current 'next-gen' battle.
Of the twenty titles supporting the Wii's launch review scores average 71.3%, with the PlayStation 3's 73.4% taking second, to the Xbox 360's 77.3%. Despite coming in a surprise last in 1UP's survey, then, the Wii also boasts the best launch title - according to the reviewers - by some margin. The Legend of Zelda: The Twilight Princess enjoys ratings averaging 96.2%, compared to the Xbox 360 hit Call of Duty 2's 90.1% and the PS3 Resistance: Fall of Man's 89.2%.
The best launch game ever was in fact Soul Calibur on the Dreamcast, according to 1UP, who reckon the GameCube boasted the strongest ever debut, averaging 79.4%.
"Averages are just that, though, and don't tell you much about the best games that accompanied the launches. And the best of the batch wasn't a surprise, but it wasn't a Nintendo game either. Soul Caliber for the Dreamcast, with an average of 96.4 just barely squeaks out the win over the Legend of Zelda: The Twilight Princess for Wii. At the other end of the spectrum, both Wii and PS3 share the worst stinkers with Happy Feet for Wii coming in at a 45 and Gundam: Crossfire at the very bottom with its 34.8," concluded the 1UP expose. It is worth noting that the PS3 was adjudged better than the original Xbox, based on the early review ratings. More on this as we get it.
- Team Junkfish's procedural survival horror Monstrum to return to Steam Early Access
- Miyamoto: Next Mario game might not arrive until Nintendo releases a new console
- Final Fantasy trailer drop continues with a new look at Final Fantasy XV
- New Final Fantasy Type-0 HD trailer drops
- Activision gives a first look at the new Exo Zombies mode for Call Of Duty: Advanced Warfare
- Rockstar announces a Christmas bumper bonanza for GTA Online
- Hazelight to use the Unreal Engine 4 for their first game
- 343 Industries to offer Halo: ODST remastered campaign to apologise for Halo: The Master Chief Collection multiplayer problems
- Court rules that lawsuit against Sony over Killzone: Shadow Fall's 1080p claims