PS3 suffers launch review ignominy
An interesting news report this morning on Slashdot.org looks at the early ratings that new Wii and PS3 titles are receiving in the initial weeks following launch. Citing a 1UP.com piece investigating whether the PS3's launch was the 'worst ever', the article actually discovered that the first PlayStation boasted the lowest review averages of any new games console. With the Wii being the suprise loser in the current 'next-gen' battle.
Of the twenty titles supporting the Wii's launch review scores average 71.3%, with the PlayStation 3's 73.4% taking second, to the Xbox 360's 77.3%. Despite coming in a surprise last in 1UP's survey, then, the Wii also boasts the best launch title - according to the reviewers - by some margin. The Legend of Zelda: The Twilight Princess enjoys ratings averaging 96.2%, compared to the Xbox 360 hit Call of Duty 2's 90.1% and the PS3 Resistance: Fall of Man's 89.2%.
The best launch game ever was in fact Soul Calibur on the Dreamcast, according to 1UP, who reckon the GameCube boasted the strongest ever debut, averaging 79.4%.
"Averages are just that, though, and don't tell you much about the best games that accompanied the launches. And the best of the batch wasn't a surprise, but it wasn't a Nintendo game either. Soul Caliber for the Dreamcast, with an average of 96.4 just barely squeaks out the win over the Legend of Zelda: The Twilight Princess for Wii. At the other end of the spectrum, both Wii and PS3 share the worst stinkers with Happy Feet for Wii coming in at a 45 and Gundam: Crossfire at the very bottom with its 34.8," concluded the 1UP expose. It is worth noting that the PS3 was adjudged better than the original Xbox, based on the early review ratings. More on this as we get it.
- Techland announces a Dying Light modding contest alongside new updates for the toolset
- 2K announces the Evolve Proving Grounds tournament in conjunction with ESL
- Broken Age: Part 2 arrives for backers 24 hours ahead of the full launch
- Halo Championship Series Cup 1 cancelled due to continued online problems
- Dirt Rally announced as a PC exclusive, hits Steam Early Access
- PC benchmarking app arrives for Final Fantasy XIV players to make sure they can run Heavensward
- [UPDATE] Hideo Kojima and Guillermo Del Toro collaboration Silent Hills looks like it has been canned
- Gears Of War Xbox One remaster looks like it's coming
- Batman: Arkham Knight will have GTA V-style character switching