PS3 suffers launch review ignominy
An interesting news report this morning on Slashdot.org looks at the early ratings that new Wii and PS3 titles are receiving in the initial weeks following launch. Citing a 1UP.com piece investigating whether the PS3's launch was the 'worst ever', the article actually discovered that the first PlayStation boasted the lowest review averages of any new games console. With the Wii being the suprise loser in the current 'next-gen' battle.
Of the twenty titles supporting the Wii's launch review scores average 71.3%, with the PlayStation 3's 73.4% taking second, to the Xbox 360's 77.3%. Despite coming in a surprise last in 1UP's survey, then, the Wii also boasts the best launch title - according to the reviewers - by some margin. The Legend of Zelda: The Twilight Princess enjoys ratings averaging 96.2%, compared to the Xbox 360 hit Call of Duty 2's 90.1% and the PS3 Resistance: Fall of Man's 89.2%.
The best launch game ever was in fact Soul Calibur on the Dreamcast, according to 1UP, who reckon the GameCube boasted the strongest ever debut, averaging 79.4%.
"Averages are just that, though, and don't tell you much about the best games that accompanied the launches. And the best of the batch wasn't a surprise, but it wasn't a Nintendo game either. Soul Caliber for the Dreamcast, with an average of 96.4 just barely squeaks out the win over the Legend of Zelda: The Twilight Princess for Wii. At the other end of the spectrum, both Wii and PS3 share the worst stinkers with Happy Feet for Wii coming in at a 45 and Gundam: Crossfire at the very bottom with its 34.8," concluded the 1UP expose. It is worth noting that the PS3 was adjudged better than the original Xbox, based on the early review ratings. More on this as we get it.
- Thomas Was Alone gets a release date for PS4 and Wii U
- New Warframe update adds space-flight to the gameplay with Archwing mode
- New poll indicates that people believe online gaming is “the least welcoming space” for women
- CD Projekt RED releases The Trail, the opening cinematic from The Witcher 3
- New Project CARS trailer pulls up to the starting grid
- Far Cry 4 dev says linear games will suffer in the new world of gameplay video sharing
- Almost 1,100 developers, students and journalists sign the new #gamediversity petition embracing diversity in games
- Felicia Day breaks her silence about #Gamergate, is almost immediately doxxed
- Ubisoft announces PC specs for Assassin's Creed: Unity and they're killer