I pitched Band Of Brothers and got Predator says Cliff Bleszinski on Gears Of War
The man behind the Gears Of War franchise, former Epic man Cliff Bleszinski has spoken very honestly about the series he created and how he feels about the end result.
Bleszinski revealed that he had originally pitched Gears Of War as a more thoughtful Band Of Brothers-style experience rather than the “buff and manly” series that it turned out to be.
"As far as [Gears], at the end of the day” he said, “you're shooting f**king lizard-men in the f**king face with a f**king chainsaw gun. It didn't wind up what I'd hoped; I'd pitched it as 'Band of Brothers with monsters' -- you know Band of Brothers is well-done and emotional, telling the story of the Greatest Generation and what they did in the war.”
“Yet somehow we landed on 'Predator'... the characters being all 'buff and manly',” he went on,” I'd never planned on that. You can't plan for that. With game development, it's like doing a Ouija board. With [dialog barks] it gets easy to slip into Schwarzenegger territory."
- Bungie explains their latest weapon balancing efforts in Destiny, promises more is coming
- Blizzard aiming to release Hearthstone on Android tablets by the end of the year
- Former BioWare man Casey Hudson hints at an Oculus Rift project
- Dark Souls on PC to switch from Games For Windows Live to Steam next month
- Square Enix announces details and pricing on the premium livestream of Final Fantasy XIV Fan Festival 2014
- First Challenge Mode DLC arrives next week for Alien: Isolation
- Metallica to close out this year's BlizzCon
- Free DLC adds a new skin and runes to Shadow Of Mordor
- ESL Gaming app arrives for the Xbox One