I pitched Band Of Brothers and got Predator says Cliff Bleszinski on Gears Of War
The man behind the Gears Of War franchise, former Epic man Cliff Bleszinski has spoken very honestly about the series he created and how he feels about the end result.
Bleszinski revealed that he had originally pitched Gears Of War as a more thoughtful Band Of Brothers-style experience rather than the “buff and manly” series that it turned out to be.
"As far as [Gears], at the end of the day” he said, “you're shooting f**king lizard-men in the f**king face with a f**king chainsaw gun. It didn't wind up what I'd hoped; I'd pitched it as 'Band of Brothers with monsters' -- you know Band of Brothers is well-done and emotional, telling the story of the Greatest Generation and what they did in the war.”
“Yet somehow we landed on 'Predator'... the characters being all 'buff and manly',” he went on,” I'd never planned on that. You can't plan for that. With game development, it's like doing a Ouija board. With [dialog barks] it gets easy to slip into Schwarzenegger territory."
- Ken Levine's next game is a first-person sci-fi title
- Battlefield: Hardline beta coming to all platforms next week
- Transistor and Yakuza 4 among February's PS Plus Instant Game Collection pickings
- Third and final Life Is Strange development diary arrives ahead of tomorrow's launch of episode one
- Nintendo shows profits despite the Wii U continuing to underperform
- Goetia demo is now live
- There's a whole load of LEGO games coming this year including LEGO Jurassic World
- Resident Evil: Revelations 2 devs confident that Resident Evil 7 will be mind-blowing
- Steam content creators raise more than 50 million USD making hats for Team Fortress 2 and the like