Delay impedes Halo movie plans
With major studios Universal and Fox having halted their backing of Microsoft's Halo film project, after re-negotiations on the terms of the deal failed, Peter Jackson's production company Wingnut Films have confessed that the project has now been delayed. After news that the deal with Fox and Universal had collapsed, Wingnut had originally insisted that pre-production continued apace while new studios were sought.
"At this time Peter Jackson and Fran Walsh, along with their partner, Microsoft, have mutually agreed to postpone making a feature film based on the Halo video game universe until we can fulfil the promise we made to millions of Halo fans throughout the world that we would settle for no less than bringing a first class film to the big screen," read a statement issued by Wingnut. "We are fully supportive of Director Neill Blomkamp's vision of the film. Neill is a tremendously gifted filmmaker and his preliminary work on Halo is truly awe-inspiring. While it will undoubtedly take a little longer for Halo to reach the big screen, we are confident that the final feature film will be well worth the wait."
The producers had refused to offer Fox and Universal improved terms, after the studios declined to proceed with the project under the existing terms. It now appears that these money problems will mean the film is put on hold until a new partner can be found - clearly a blow to Microsoft's lofty plans for the Halo brand. More as we get it.
- Mad Max gets slated for a September release
- Console ports of Gone Home have been shelved by Fullbright
- Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain release date leaked, getting an autumn release
- Stealth Inc 2 is coming to PC, PlayStation and Xbox
- Frozenbyte announces Trine 3: Artifacts Of Power
- Epic has dropped the subscription fee for the Unreal Engine 4
- Rumour: DirectX 12 could allow mixing and matching of AMD and Nvidia GPUs
- No more online modes for Ridge Racer Unbounded in Europe
- Mortal Kombat X coming to mobiles as a free-to-play card battler