Irrational Games “as we know it” winding down, lays off all but 15 staff
Irrational Games has announced that they have laid off all but 15 of the studio's staff and are winding down to become a new “entrepreneurial venture” within Take-Two.
Co-founder and creative director of Irrational Ken Levine stated that he was “deeply proud” of what Irrational Games has achieved over the last 17 years but now he wants to make a new kind of narrative-led experience for core gamers and that requires a smaller team with a “flatter structure”.
Levine explained, "That is going to mean parting ways with all but about fifteen members of the Irrational team. There’s no great way to lay people off, and our first concern is to make sure that the people who are leaving have as much support as we can give them during this transition.”
"Besides financial support, the staff will have access to the studio for a period of time to say their goodbyes and put together their portfolios,” he added. “Other Take-Two studios will be on hand to discuss opportunities within the company, and we’ll be hosting a recruiting day where we’ll be giving 3rd party studios and publishers a chance to hold interviews with departing Irrational staff."
The news comes as quiet a shock, especially given how successful the studio has been since it was formed back in 1997. We wish all of the departing staff the best of luck finding new work and for those that remain the best of luck with their new project.
Thanks Develop Online.
- Next week's Destiny events detailed
- Swery65's D4: Dark Dreams Don't Die is out now on Xbox One
- Silent Hills could be an episodic title
- Thomas Was Alone is making the jump to the PS4
- Destiny helps give the PS4 a 300 percent sales kick
- New Yakuza 0 trailer shows off 1980s Japan
- Bloodborne's Western release date has been confirmed
- Classic WWII RTS action returns with Blitzkrieg 3
- Tetsuya Nomura leaves Final Fantasy XV to concentrate of Kingdom Hearts III