HD-DVD inside Xbox 360 after all?
Wednesday afternoon - the back of the week broken - and what better way to celebrate than with a spot of rumour and speculation concerning the relationship between the Xbox 360 and the emerging HD-DVD format. What we know: that an external HD-DVD drive will be made available for the Xbox 360 this Christmas costing in the region of 199 GBP. What we've heard: that Microsoft are plotting some future revision of the Xbox 360 console, incorporating the new DVD format into the body of the main console. Microsoft are, perhaps unsurprisingly, denying all knowledge of such a revision at this point - but this hasn't put pay to a number of rumours which have surfaced in recent months.
Digitimes.com are the latest reporters of this tantalising chatter, citing manufacturing sources in Taiwan who reckon Microsoft is in the process of selecting a company to build the new internal drive so far denied by the platform holder. Speculation suggests that a new version of the Xbox 360 equipped with the HD-DVD drive could be ready to go in the first of 2007. Of course, MS has always promised not to put games on HD-DVDs anyway, which would in effect split the format in two - but they will still be keen to counter the efforts of Sony who are using Blu-Ray extensively.
Earlier in the summer, a Toshiba spokesperson commented that "I would imagine that there are plans in place to put an HD-DVD drive internally in future revisions of the product," further fueling rumours of a new console. More on this idle chit-chat as we get it.
- Hatred returns to Steam Greenlight
- Work on a Lords Of The Fallen sequel is under way
- The latest patch for Assassin's Creed: Unity is a whopper, especially for some on Xbox One
- Microsoft is planning a streaming service reportedly called Arcadia
- Sniper: Ghost Warrior 3 in development, aiming for a 2016 release
- Jagex to pull the plug on Transformers Universe
- One of Johnny Gat's new toys from Saints Row: Gat Out Of Hell takes a tour of London
- Free trial of Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn arrives on the PS4
- Batman Of The Future character pack arrives for LEGO Batman 3