Atari hope for revival with new boss
A new CEO has been appointed at struggling French publisher Atari, with long-time boss Bruno Bonnell finally standing-down. The outspoken Bonnell had been in charge since his hoped-for replacement, music industry veteran James Caparro, stood-down after just six-months in charge of the troubled games firm. Now, a long-term replacement could be in the offing with the appointment David Pierce as CEO and President of the Atari group.
It is believed Bonnell will continue in his role as Chairman of the troubled PLC, but it will be Pierce's unenviable task to revive the fortunes of the once influential publisher, formerly known as Infogrames before the purchase of the Atari brand. Pierce apparently has a background in films and music, and is credited with turning around formerly ailing Sony Music division, Sony Wonder.
Over the last year or so Atari has been besieged with financial problems, exacerbated by under-performing titles. A massive restructuring of the publisher has already been undertaken to ensure its survival, with the Driver series and developer Reflections recently being sold to Ubisoft. THQ also nabbed Stuntman and developer Paradigm, with TimeShift also going to VU Games earlier in the year.
Pierce will be hoping to boost the company's share price, with it recently slipping below the 1 USD level required by the NASDAQ. De-listing looks likely now, and that would bring further woes upon the firm. More as we get it.
- Speedrunner beats Bloodborne in just 44 minutes
- Dragon Age: Inquisition's Jaws Of Hakkon DLC not out on remaining platforms till May
- Pillars Of Eternity community debating the validity of an in-game trans joke
- Warner Bros teams up with ESL for a programme of pro-Mortal Kombat X tournaments this year
- New Rainbow Six: Siege trailer explains the operator system
- UK headteachers threaten to report parents who let their children play adult-rated games
- Spotify hits the PS4 and PS3 today
- Halo 5: Guardians coming to the Xbox One in October
- The next episode of Call Of Duty: Advanced Warfare's Exo Zombies get s new trailer