Atari hope for revival with new boss
A new CEO has been appointed at struggling French publisher Atari, with long-time boss Bruno Bonnell finally standing-down. The outspoken Bonnell had been in charge since his hoped-for replacement, music industry veteran James Caparro, stood-down after just six-months in charge of the troubled games firm. Now, a long-term replacement could be in the offing with the appointment David Pierce as CEO and President of the Atari group.
It is believed Bonnell will continue in his role as Chairman of the troubled PLC, but it will be Pierce's unenviable task to revive the fortunes of the once influential publisher, formerly known as Infogrames before the purchase of the Atari brand. Pierce apparently has a background in films and music, and is credited with turning around formerly ailing Sony Music division, Sony Wonder.
Over the last year or so Atari has been besieged with financial problems, exacerbated by under-performing titles. A massive restructuring of the publisher has already been undertaken to ensure its survival, with the Driver series and developer Reflections recently being sold to Ubisoft. THQ also nabbed Stuntman and developer Paradigm, with TimeShift also going to VU Games earlier in the year.
Pierce will be hoping to boost the company's share price, with it recently slipping below the 1 USD level required by the NASDAQ. De-listing looks likely now, and that would bring further woes upon the firm. More as we get it.
- Call of Duty: Black Ops III is coming to the PS3 and Xbox 360 after all
- Tomonobu Itagaki's Devil's Third gets a release date
- Adr1ft is coming to PC and consoles at the end of the summer
- EA gives the new Mirror's Edge a name – Mirror's Edge Catalyst
- ZombiU PS4 and Xbox One port reportedly in the works
- Mike Bithell's Volume to be released this August
- Gearbox's new shooter Battleborn gets a pre-E3 trailer
- Steam Controller launches in October, Steam Machines arrive in November
- Gears Of War devs Black Tusk change their name to The Coalition ahead of E3