MS slash 10 GBP off Core price
Despite refusing to comment last week on word that the majority of retailers had begun slashing 10 GBP off the retail price of the Xbox 360 Core pack, Microsoft UK appear to have 'sort-of' confessed that the price in Blighty has indeed been dropped to 199.99 GBP. Whether this small cut will be mirrored across Europe, and in Australasia and other PAL regions remains very much to be seen.
Speculation had previously suggested that the price cut had been driven by competition between retailers, keen to get the retail price of the console below the magic 200 GBP point. The Core pack had previously been retailing at 209.99 GBP, and whilst Microsoft still haven't officially announced the change, leading retailers are all stating that the cut is being led by the platform holder.
At the time of going to press, the Premium, HDD-enabled pack remains unchanged at 279.99 GBP. "Retail price is set by our retail partners. Retailers are already selling Xbox 360 Core System from £199.99, which we believe is outstanding value to consumers," MS stated just last week - though retailers later responded stating that "the Core version has dropped by £10 today - they've issued it directly so it's not been driven by retail," according to reports from GamesIndustry.biz.
Regardless, this is a positive development for consumers, and it will be interesting to see if the cut reaches other regions too. More soon, then.
- Thomas Was Alone gets a release date for PS4 and Wii U
- New Warframe update adds space-flight to the gameplay with Archwing mode
- New poll indicates that people believe online gaming is “the least welcoming space” for women
- CD Projekt RED releases The Trail, the opening cinematic from The Witcher 3
- New Project CARS trailer pulls up to the starting grid
- Far Cry 4 dev says linear games will suffer in the new world of gameplay video sharing
- Almost 1,100 developers, students and journalists sign the new #gamediversity petition embracing diversity in games
- Felicia Day breaks her silence about #Gamergate, is almost immediately doxxed
- Ubisoft announces PC specs for Assassin's Creed: Unity and they're killer