Gears of War to take on PS3
So the PS3 won't be running smack-bang into Halo 3 as Bill Gates once proclaimed, it will however be sharing the gaming spotlight with arguably the Xbox 360's biggest title of the year. Yesterday, Microsoft revealed that Gears of War will be released on November 17th in PAL regions. The game will be out in North America on November 12th. It's certainly going to be interesting to see whether Epic Games' big-budget opus can tackle Sony's system head-on, and in the process score Microsoft some major PR points.
As well as a standard version of the first-person shooter, Microsoft have announced a metal-bound special edition pack, featuring an art book, 'making of' DVD and other collectible oddities. Epic's Gears of War promises a Hollywood-esque singleplayer experience, in what both companies must hope is the beginning of a major gaming series.
"With 'Gears of War' we've created a title that will place gamers directly in the shadows of a ravaged world, surrounded by the beautiful remnants of a destroyed city and the horrific dangers that hide in the rubble," enthused Cliff Bleszinski. Roll on November, we say.
- Call of Duty: Black Ops III is coming to the PS3 and Xbox 360 after all
- Tomonobu Itagaki's Devil's Third gets a release date
- Adr1ft is coming to PC and consoles at the end of the summer
- EA gives the new Mirror's Edge a name – Mirror's Edge Catalyst
- ZombiU PS4 and Xbox One port reportedly in the works
- Mike Bithell's Volume to be released this August
- Gearbox's new shooter Battleborn gets a pre-E3 trailer
- Steam Controller launches in October, Steam Machines arrive in November
- Gears Of War devs Black Tusk change their name to The Coalition ahead of E3