Gilbert RPG struggles for backing
Despite Ron Gilbert's impressive pedigree in the game industry, and a CV boasting innumerable hits of yesteryear, the veteran designer is apparently struggling to find backing for his new project. Gilbert told Gamasutra.com in an interview that he had yet to garner support for his story-driven RPG, which he is currently working on from home. He also told the industry website that publishers are missing out by not giving smaller titles and developers a chance.
"The thing I'm trying to do with the game right now is kind of meld it with an RPG. So what you've got is the kind of large world exploration that you have in an RPG that you don't really have with an adventure game. You've got the action, some light combat, you know, Diablo-style combat going on with it, but it is also infused with really good adventure-game-style puzzles and adventure-style sensibilities to the storytelling," Gilbert told Gamasutra.com on the project.
Gilbert said that publishers he'd spoken with had been turned-off as soon as phrases like 'adventure game' and 'story' were mentioned. "I think a lot of it is that they cannot point to anything like this that is successful in the market today," Gilbert explained. Adding that whilst the game wouldn't be expensive to create, publishers are "like baseball players that only want to hit home runs." More on Gilbert's thoughts on games and the industry can be had in the interview.
- Thomas Was Alone gets a release date for PS4 and Wii U
- New Warframe update adds space-flight to the gameplay with Archwing mode
- New poll indicates that people believe online gaming is “the least welcoming space” for women
- CD Projekt RED releases The Trail, the opening cinematic from The Witcher 3
- New Project CARS trailer pulls up to the starting grid
- Far Cry 4 dev says linear games will suffer in the new world of gameplay video sharing
- Almost 1,100 developers, students and journalists sign the new #gamediversity petition embracing diversity in games
- Felicia Day breaks her silence about #Gamergate, is almost immediately doxxed
- Ubisoft announces PC specs for Assassin's Creed: Unity and they're killer