Super-intuitive Xbox controller mooted
MS Xbox bigwig Peter Moore has indicated that the platform holder could be working on a new super-simple controller for the Xbox 360, aimed at making game control a less daunting prospect, even for young children. MS is interested in "any way that we can play and make games easier and more intuitive, that takes the intimidation factor away from what is a pretty complex device now when you look at the controller," Moore told an EA community event. "Shoulder buttons, triggers, analog sticks, d-pads - I mean, there's a lot going on there."
Moore pointed to the simplicity of the Atari 2600 joystick as a benchmark for friendly controller design, noting that the Nintendo Wii is attempting to capture a similarly intuitive approach. "Although when I picked it up I was surprised how much stuff is on there," he stated. Moore added however that he is impressed by the Wii's ambition, agreeing with Ninty's own line that it is important to draw new people into gaming.
He also spoke of his 14 year-old daughter, who apparently loves racing games, but is frustrated by the complexity of standard controllers. He assured us MS is 'doing a lot of stuff' in this area... though certainly won't be jumping on any bandwagons, Moore adding: "we're not going to force anything that is not going to be intuitive and innovative."
- Thomas Was Alone gets a release date for PS4 and Wii U
- New Warframe update adds space-flight to the gameplay with Archwing mode
- New poll indicates that people believe online gaming is “the least welcoming space” for women
- CD Projekt RED releases The Trail, the opening cinematic from The Witcher 3
- New Project CARS trailer pulls up to the starting grid
- Far Cry 4 dev says linear games will suffer in the new world of gameplay video sharing
- Almost 1,100 developers, students and journalists sign the new #gamediversity petition embracing diversity in games
- Felicia Day breaks her silence about #Gamergate, is almost immediately doxxed
- Ubisoft announces PC specs for Assassin's Creed: Unity and they're killer