Super-intuitive Xbox controller mooted
MS Xbox bigwig Peter Moore has indicated that the platform holder could be working on a new super-simple controller for the Xbox 360, aimed at making game control a less daunting prospect, even for young children. MS is interested in "any way that we can play and make games easier and more intuitive, that takes the intimidation factor away from what is a pretty complex device now when you look at the controller," Moore told an EA community event. "Shoulder buttons, triggers, analog sticks, d-pads - I mean, there's a lot going on there."
Moore pointed to the simplicity of the Atari 2600 joystick as a benchmark for friendly controller design, noting that the Nintendo Wii is attempting to capture a similarly intuitive approach. "Although when I picked it up I was surprised how much stuff is on there," he stated. Moore added however that he is impressed by the Wii's ambition, agreeing with Ninty's own line that it is important to draw new people into gaming.
He also spoke of his 14 year-old daughter, who apparently loves racing games, but is frustrated by the complexity of standard controllers. He assured us MS is 'doing a lot of stuff' in this area... though certainly won't be jumping on any bandwagons, Moore adding: "we're not going to force anything that is not going to be intuitive and innovative."
- Valve's Chet Faliszek has been confirmed as the first developer session for EGX Rezzed 2015
- One area from Zelda Wii U is as big as the entirety of Skyward Sword
- Telltale's new collaboration is with Mojang, on a Minecraft story game
- Franklin voice actor indicates GTA V story DLC is on the way
- Red Dead Redemption, LA Noire and Bully sequels will come when the time is right says Rockstar
- Telltale teases another collaboration with another game developer
- New Company Of Heroes 2: Ardennes Assault trailer recognizes the 70th anniversary of the Battle of the Bulge
- New Call Of Duty: Advanced Warfare trailer focuses on character customization
- Splash Damage's free-to-play shooter Dirty Bomb coming to Steam in the new year