Gilbert: Disney stole my Monkey Island!
Veteran game designer Ron Gilbert, who was one of LucasArts' most important game creators in their point-and-click heyday, claims that elements of the new Disney Pirates of the Caribbean flick bear more than a passing resemblance to his seminal Monkey Island series of adventure games. Gilbert points specifically to long-time Monkey Island baddie LeChuck, and his similarities to a character in the new film.
"So, I'm looking through my neighbour's window with a pair of binoculars, trying to see the TV to figure out if they have HBO that I can steal when the latest trailer for the new Pirates of the Caribbean movie comes on and I'm thinking to myself, 'Hey, I've seen this before... No... I've played this before... No... I've designed this before!' I'm thinking, 'This is the Monkey Island Movie!' Gilbert wrote in his online blog.
The designer added: "Yeah, they kind of screwed up his beard, but that's LeChuck, and let's be honest, if I'd thought of the squid tentacles for a beard, I would have done that."
Gilbert was hoping to receive a royalty cheque, but upon opening his mailbox, was disappointed to discover: "Two overdue credit card bills and a flier from some guy offering to Trim My Hedges, which I'm sure is just an innuendo for Wash My Cars, and I think we all know what that means."
Gilbert remains convinced Disney will do the right thing, however. Do you think the new Pirates of the Caribbean is closer to Monkey Island in more than just subject matter? We'll keep our canons trained on more information.
- Sledgehammer promises a reveal of Call Of Duty: Advanced Warfare co-op mode soon
- Former New York mayor Rudi Juliani to represent Activision in the Manuel Noriega Call of Duty: Black Ops II lawsuit
- Next week's Destiny events detailed
- Swery65's D4: Dark Dreams Don't Die is out now on Xbox One
- Silent Hills could be an episodic title
- Thomas Was Alone is making the jump to the PS4
- Destiny helps give the PS4 a 300 percent sales kick
- New Yakuza 0 trailer shows off 1980s Japan
- Bloodborne's Western release date has been confirmed