Michael Pachter brands disc-less Xbox One as “dumbest idea of all time”
Outspoken industry analyst Michael Pachter has shared his opinion on the rumours that Microsoft are preparing a version of the Xbox One without a disc drive.
Rumours of the new disc-less Xbox One emerged yesterday in a flurry of activity on NeoGAF from one user 'ntkrnl' and Pachter believes that a download-only Xbox One would be a bad idea.
“I don’t actually believe the rumour. If this rumour is true, it is one of the dumbest ideas of all time,” Pachter elaborated. “It would alienate GameStop and other retailers, and it would demonstrate that Microsoft can afford to release a 1TB Xbox One at $399 with essentially the same production cost as the $499 model with a 500GB HDD and a Blu-ray drive."
He added, “That would likely cause gamers to believe that the model with a Blu-ray drive is overpriced, or would cause them to believe that Microsoft is greedy.”
- Call of Duty: Black Ops III is coming to the PS3 and Xbox 360 after all
- Tomonobu Itagaki's Devil's Third gets a release date
- Adr1ft is coming to PC and consoles at the end of the summer
- EA gives the new Mirror's Edge a name – Mirror's Edge Catalyst
- ZombiU PS4 and Xbox One port reportedly in the works
- Mike Bithell's Volume to be released this August
- Gearbox's new shooter Battleborn gets a pre-E3 trailer
- Steam Controller launches in October, Steam Machines arrive in November
- Gears Of War devs Black Tusk change their name to The Coalition ahead of E3