More to come from Wii - ATI
With some 'experts' already claiming Nintendo might steal a surprise lead in the next-generation console war thanks to the unique features of their Wii console, ATI boss John Swinimer has spoken out in an interview assuring that we haven't seen half of what the Wii can do to-date. ATI are responsible for the 'Hollywood' graphics processor chip within the new console, and apparently told GameDaily that Nintendo's E3 showcase was just 'the tip of the iceberg'.
Pressed on the specific technical capabilities of the chip (which are said to be well behind the capabilities of the PS3 and the Xbox 360), Swinimer wouldn't be drawn, stating: "I think it's about the innovation that it brings to the table - the motion-sensing, the always-on capability, which is really cool too - the fact that the chip is powerful enough and responsive enough to be there at a moment's notice."
ATI also developed the graphics horsepower behind the Xbox 360 console, but Swinimer stated it would be unfair to compare the chips, given the different aims of the two consoles. "The team that worked on this chip also worked on the Flipper chip that was in GameCube. They've been working with Nintendo for a very long time so there's a great chemistry with the two teams working together," the executive added, paying homage to the relationship ATI enjoys with Nintendo.
Meanwhile, speculation lingers about the exact power of the Wii console, which is said to be two-to-four times mightier than the GameCube, depending on who you believe. More on this soon.
- Ultra Street Fighter IV coming to PS4 at the end of May
- Ubisoft to publish Homeworld Remastered Collection at retail next month
- Journey, Flower and FlOw heading to the PS4 in a retail package
- Phil Harrison's departure from Microsoft has been confirmed
- Here's the first look at Star Wars: Battlefront
- Project CARS will feature 110 courses across over 30 iconic locations
- Gratuitous Space Battles 2 arrives today
- First Star Wars: Battlefront details arrive including a release date
- The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt's release date is now set in stone