More to come from Wii - ATI
With some 'experts' already claiming Nintendo might steal a surprise lead in the next-generation console war thanks to the unique features of their Wii console, ATI boss John Swinimer has spoken out in an interview assuring that we haven't seen half of what the Wii can do to-date. ATI are responsible for the 'Hollywood' graphics processor chip within the new console, and apparently told GameDaily that Nintendo's E3 showcase was just 'the tip of the iceberg'.
Pressed on the specific technical capabilities of the chip (which are said to be well behind the capabilities of the PS3 and the Xbox 360), Swinimer wouldn't be drawn, stating: "I think it's about the innovation that it brings to the table - the motion-sensing, the always-on capability, which is really cool too - the fact that the chip is powerful enough and responsive enough to be there at a moment's notice."
ATI also developed the graphics horsepower behind the Xbox 360 console, but Swinimer stated it would be unfair to compare the chips, given the different aims of the two consoles. "The team that worked on this chip also worked on the Flipper chip that was in GameCube. They've been working with Nintendo for a very long time so there's a great chemistry with the two teams working together," the executive added, paying homage to the relationship ATI enjoys with Nintendo.
Meanwhile, speculation lingers about the exact power of the Wii console, which is said to be two-to-four times mightier than the GameCube, depending on who you believe. More on this soon.
- Riot Games in talks with European ISPs over building a dedicated League Of Legends network
- New 2-on-2 mode lands in Destiny's Crucible
- Second Life Is Strange developer diaries arrives, Reddit AMA planned for next week
- Destiny's Crota's End Raid beaten in 27 minutes on Hard Mode
- Techland to show off Dying Light's asymmetric multiplayer Be A Zombie mode tomorrow
- You won't need a new graphics card in order to use DirectX 12
- Dying Light physical launch outside North America coming end of February with free DLC for all
- Telltale's Game Of Thrones Episode 2 coming at the beginning of next month
- Sony unveils special edition Bloodborne PS4s for Japan