Secret mic in Wii controller?
A number of reports are beginning to circulate this week suggesting that the Nintendo Wii controller might also include a built-in microphone, as well the speaker revealed at E3 in LA. If the reports prove correct and the Wiimote does include this feature, this would be yet another bold innovation from Nintendo, who are promising to 'disrupt' the gaming norm with their new console. Given the shape of the controller, a microphone feature could make the controller into a bona fide phone, for use with voice-over-IP services... which would of course also fit in with Ninty's ambitious plans for the 'always-on' WiiConnect24 service.
More interesting still comes word that Nintendo now own the wiikaraoke.com domain, which could also be used as evidence of the controller's secret use. Of course, a mic attachment for the controller is also a strong possibility, but the shape of the device at present would seem to make an extra peripheral unnecessary. Microphone chatter is strongly supported by the success of the microphone feature on the DS handheld, with both Nintendo and third-parties making extensive use of it in their games. We'll keep you posted on this tittle-tattle as we learn more.
- Thomas Was Alone gets a release date for PS4 and Wii U
- New Warframe update adds space-flight to the gameplay with Archwing mode
- New poll indicates that people believe online gaming is “the least welcoming space” for women
- CD Projekt RED releases The Trail, the opening cinematic from The Witcher 3
- New Project CARS trailer pulls up to the starting grid
- Far Cry 4 dev says linear games will suffer in the new world of gameplay video sharing
- Almost 1,100 developers, students and journalists sign the new #gamediversity petition embracing diversity in games
- Felicia Day breaks her silence about #Gamergate, is almost immediately doxxed
- Ubisoft announces PC specs for Assassin's Creed: Unity and they're killer