Microsoft secures the rights to the Gears Of War series from Epic
Microsoft has announced that they have secured the rights to the Gears Of War series from Epic Games.
The Unreal Engine builders seem to have lost interest in the series that became the killer app for the Xbox 360 with the departure of series creator Cliff Bleszinski after 17 years with the developer.
Microsoft Studios' Phil Spencer said, “It all comes back to our commitment to Xbox fans. The “Gears of War” franchise has a very strong, passionate and valued fan base on Xbox. Over twenty-two million units have been sold across all “Gears of War” titles worldwide, grossing over $1B dollars (US). This franchise, and these fans, are part of the soul of Xbox. By acquiring this franchise, Microsoft Studios will continue to offer them more of their favorite games and entertainment experiences from the “Gears of War” universe.”
Epic will continue to support the Gears Of War series by providing Unreal Engine technology to power future games, the first of which will be developed at Microsoft's Black Tusk studio. Black Tusk also happens to have secured the services of former epic man Rod Fergusson who has worked on the Gears Of War series very closely when at Epic.
“I’m extremely excited to be joining Black Tusk Studios to oversee development on the Gears of War franchise,” Fergusson added. “I’ve been privileged to work on a lot of great games with a lot of great teams, but Gears has had the most impact on me professionally and personally, so this really feels like a homecoming. I can’t wait to share more with you all soon.”
Epic CEO Tim Sweeney said of the transfer, “We’re very proud of the franchise we built in close partnership with Microsoft over the past decade and are happy that this agreement enables Microsoft to forge ahead with the ‘Gears’ universe on their industry-leading platforms as Epic concentrates its efforts on new projects. Epic remains totally dedicated to supporting Xbox One and is licensing the Unreal Engine 4 technology to Microsoft in support of their future projects.”
Looks like Gears Of War will be coming to the Xbox One then.
- Watch Bungie play Destiny's new Prison Of Elders mode live here tomorrow
- Fan remake of Half-Life, Black Mesa arrives on Steam Early Access
- Microsoft's acquisition of Minecraft devs Mojang was motivated by Hololens
- id Software wanted to pay modders for their work back in 1995 says John Romero
- Jason Voorhees arrives as DLC for Mortal Kombat X and he's all about the machete
- Project CARS finally pulls up to the starting grid
- Shadow Of Mordor: Game Of The Year Edition hits retail this week
- Wolfenstein: The Old Blood arrives today
- Bungie and CCP run their own campaigns to aid the earthquake survivors of Nepal