Microsoft secures the rights to the Gears Of War series from Epic
Microsoft has announced that they have secured the rights to the Gears Of War series from Epic Games.
The Unreal Engine builders seem to have lost interest in the series that became the killer app for the Xbox 360 with the departure of series creator Cliff Bleszinski after 17 years with the developer.
Microsoft Studios' Phil Spencer said, “It all comes back to our commitment to Xbox fans. The “Gears of War” franchise has a very strong, passionate and valued fan base on Xbox. Over twenty-two million units have been sold across all “Gears of War” titles worldwide, grossing over $1B dollars (US). This franchise, and these fans, are part of the soul of Xbox. By acquiring this franchise, Microsoft Studios will continue to offer them more of their favorite games and entertainment experiences from the “Gears of War” universe.”
Epic will continue to support the Gears Of War series by providing Unreal Engine technology to power future games, the first of which will be developed at Microsoft's Black Tusk studio. Black Tusk also happens to have secured the services of former epic man Rod Fergusson who has worked on the Gears Of War series very closely when at Epic.
“I’m extremely excited to be joining Black Tusk Studios to oversee development on the Gears of War franchise,” Fergusson added. “I’ve been privileged to work on a lot of great games with a lot of great teams, but Gears has had the most impact on me professionally and personally, so this really feels like a homecoming. I can’t wait to share more with you all soon.”
Epic CEO Tim Sweeney said of the transfer, “We’re very proud of the franchise we built in close partnership with Microsoft over the past decade and are happy that this agreement enables Microsoft to forge ahead with the ‘Gears’ universe on their industry-leading platforms as Epic concentrates its efforts on new projects. Epic remains totally dedicated to supporting Xbox One and is licensing the Unreal Engine 4 technology to Microsoft in support of their future projects.”
Looks like Gears Of War will be coming to the Xbox One then.
- Visuals are key to the PS4's success according to Nielsen's latest survey
- Sledgehammer considering revisiting classic multiplayer maps for Call Of Duty: Advanced Warfare
- New ToeJam & Earl game comes to Kickstarter
- Free login campaign announced as Final Fantasy XIV tops 4 million registered users
- Fable Legends will be free-to-play on both PC and Xbox One
- Bastion will hit the PS4 in April
- Sierra bringing Velocity 2X to Xbox One and PC
- This month is a triple-A bonanza for Xbox gamers on Games With Gold
- New House Of Wolves leak shows a Reef social hub for Destiny