MS comment on PS3 press conference
US game site IGN has published remarks from Microsoft executives after Sony's pre-E3 press conference announced details of the console's November launch.
"From a gamer's perspective, I'm pretty disappointed in Sony's lack of innovation" said Christ Satchell, general manager of Microsoft's game developer group, mirroring observations seen around forums online. He also poured scorn on his competitor's higher priced platform, musing that the back-pedalling seen in the controller design "doesn't seem good for consumers, just good for Sony". Ouch.
Shane Kim, Microsoft Game Studios general manager put his two pence/cents/centimes in, passing judgement on Sony's promise to have six-million consoles produced by the end of the first quarter of next year, stating:
"We can't speculate on Sony's production capabilities. We're not experts on that. But as you know, getting six million units on the market place by March 2007 is a very challenging task. [...] By June 2006, we project we'll meet our goal of having shipped 5 to 5.5 million Xbox 360s. On the subject of new content and announcements, you'll hear about the great new stuff we have at our conference tomorrow."
With regard to the PS3 online plans, Satchell said "they provided no real commitment to actually delivering on their online service", and when it was suggested that the PS3 had an advantage with its Blu-Ray technology he countered with "1080p is a niche market. The sweet spot is 720p. [...] The real question is will your TV be able to run 1080p?"
So, with the battle lines redrawn slightly, we'll have to wait and see what the boys from the Xbox camp have to say tomorrow, perhaps with some more subtle comments from the Japanese afterwards? All this, and the expo hasn't even begun...
- SEGA confirms the rumoured PC version Valkyria Chronicles, gives a release date
- Clerks stars Jeff Anderson and Jason Mewes talk about lending their voices to new adventure Randal's Monday
- Ubisoft announces details on the PvP modes for Far Cry 4
- Shadow Of Mordor's Lord Of The Hunt DLC detailed
- November's Games With Gold line-up is smashing... literally
- RedBedlam adds more content to the Steam Early Access version of their novel/game crossover Bedlam
- Shu Yoshida: PS Plus Edition of Driveclub won't arrive until the server issues are fixed
- New PC patch for The Evil Within unlocks 60fps for machines that can handle it
- Konami drops the price for Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes