Radio interview sparks PS3 price conjecture
The internet lit-up with European PS3 price chatter yesterday, after the circulation of a Europe 1 (radio station) interview with Sony Computer Entertainment France boss Georges Fornay. In the interview, the chief was quoted as stating that the pricing of the new console would be in the region of "499 and 599 Euro." However, a subsequent statement from Sony appears to debunk this prediction, stating that it was "a mistranslation or misunderstanding of the discussion, which was actually focused on the relative value of PS3 as a Blu-ray Disc player."
Still, if Fornay's pricing does come to fruition during the November worldwide launch, then the PS3 will be priced significantly higher than the Xbox 360. "Mr Fornay explained that, with BD and HD functionality, PS3 at this price would be cheap for such functionality, but that current video games machines were significantly below this price," communications director Nick Sharples told industry site GamesIndustry.biz. "At no time did he suggest or indicate a specific price point or price range for PS3, and any reports that he did so are incorrect."
Whilst Fornay and Sharples' comments don't really give us much hint of the console's eventual price, they do however suggest that the console will cost less than current Blu-Ray players, which can retail in the 6-800 Euro range presently. With the 360 premium pack priced around the 400 Euro mark, these latest comments could suggest that despite the more pricey innards of the PS3, a launch within the same bracket is on the cards. But who knows. More as E3 nears, we're guessing.
- Retail listing for ZombiU 2 spotted
- 343 admits last week's Halo: The Master Chief Collection patch didn't work as well as they'd hoped, promises to keep working
- Dark Souls II is heading to PS4, Xbox One and DirectX 11 PC next year
- Square Enix boss promises a brand new console RPG reveal next month
- Ubisoft reveals there will be no release day reviews for The Crew
- Surprise! Tales From The Borderlands episode one is out today
- StarCraft 2 pro-player expelled from Fragbite Masters tournament for Twitter rape comment about a female opponent
- New video gives a sneak peek at Destiny's first DLC The Dark Below
- Sony claims “no evidence” of a breach after hacker group claims to have leaked PSN account details online