Sega enlist Obsidian for next-gen
Sega could well have pulled-off an impressive coup this week, enlisting Californian studio Obsidian Entertainment create next-generation videogames for western gaming markets. Obsidian have in the past crafted Knights of the Old Republic 2, and are currently hard at work on Neverwinter Nights 2 at Bioware's bequest. The new deal will see Sega Europe and America working alongside Obsidian's experienced RPG developers to craft a new RPG to feature on the PC, Xbox 360 and PS3.
"The development team at Obsidian has 'proven track record' stamped all over it," beamed Sega America boss Simon Jeffery. "When SEGA decided to create a fresh and captivating RPG franchise for new generations of hardware, we immediately knew who we wanted to work with."
Thank god for that 'proven track record', Simon. Obsidian big cheese Feargus Urquhart added his enthusiasm to the press release pie, stating: "At Obsidian, our focus is to make exceptional games and we see SEGA as a true partner in achieving that goal for our next epic RPG." Hopefully we won't have to wait too long for word of the actual game, which wasn't mentioned in today's news.
This deal is the latest in a series of arrangements Sega have been making to ensure they're amply represented in western games markets, beyond their traditional Japan-centric powerbase. More as we get it.
- UK to toughen up laws on internet harassment
- Driveclub issues persist as players report trouble downloading the latest patch
- New featurette release talking about faithfully recreating the artwork from The Legend Of Korra in the new game
- Sony details PS4 update 2.00, Music player is among the highlights
- Runefest 2014 Runescape's most successful fanfest yet
- Project CARS delayed into 2015 to push it out of the busy Christmas release schedule
- Halo: The Master Chief Collection needs a 20 GB day one update because 343 filled up the 45GB game disc
- SEGA announces the Fox Company pre-order bonus for Company Of Heroes 2: Ardennes Assault
- Tim Schafer has finally finished writing Broken Age Act 2