Sega enlist Obsidian for next-gen
Sega could well have pulled-off an impressive coup this week, enlisting Californian studio Obsidian Entertainment create next-generation videogames for western gaming markets. Obsidian have in the past crafted Knights of the Old Republic 2, and are currently hard at work on Neverwinter Nights 2 at Bioware's bequest. The new deal will see Sega Europe and America working alongside Obsidian's experienced RPG developers to craft a new RPG to feature on the PC, Xbox 360 and PS3.
"The development team at Obsidian has 'proven track record' stamped all over it," beamed Sega America boss Simon Jeffery. "When SEGA decided to create a fresh and captivating RPG franchise for new generations of hardware, we immediately knew who we wanted to work with."
Thank god for that 'proven track record', Simon. Obsidian big cheese Feargus Urquhart added his enthusiasm to the press release pie, stating: "At Obsidian, our focus is to make exceptional games and we see SEGA as a true partner in achieving that goal for our next epic RPG." Hopefully we won't have to wait too long for word of the actual game, which wasn't mentioned in today's news.
This deal is the latest in a series of arrangements Sega have been making to ensure they're amply represented in western games markets, beyond their traditional Japan-centric powerbase. More as we get it.
- Activision gives a first look at the new Exo Zombies mode for Call Of Duty: Advanced Warfare
- Rockstar announces a Christmas bumper bonanza for GTA Online
- Hazelight to use the Unreal Engine 4 for their first game
- 343 Industries to offer Halo: ODST remastered campaign to apologise for Halo: The Master Chief Collection multiplayer problems
- Court rules that lawsuit against Sony over Killzone: Shadow Fall's 1080p claims
- Capcom using Unreal Engine 4 for Street Fighter V
- Valve's Chet Faliszek has been confirmed as the first developer session for EGX Rezzed 2015
- One area from Zelda Wii U is as big as the entirety of Skyward Sword
- Telltale's new collaboration is with Mojang, on a Minecraft story game