I know some fans would be happy if we just abandoned the effort altogether says BioWare on Dragon Age: Inquisition's romances
David Gaider lead writer on Dragon Age: Inquisition has been talking about the somewhat touchy subject of romance in their new game.
While Gaider believes that it's important to give players the option of pursuing some romance in their games he recognises that they can't do enough to make every player happy with the options they make available and some gamers would probably be just as happy if they abandoned the endeavour altogether.
"I know some fans would be happy if we just abandoned the effort altogether,” Gaider began. “Generally those are people who don't use that sort of content in our games anyhow, so us not pursuing it naturally wouldn't bother them. I'll just ignore the element who see romances as a thing that only 'fangirls' like, and which is thus of lesser value to a 'real game'.”
"To me,” he continued, “the thing that BioWare does best is not story but characters - I think our characters are done to a level that few other games even attempt, with an element of agency that strikes a chord in our players...and romances have been a natural outgrowth of that. Sure we could stop, but that would be turning our backs on something we do which almost no-one else does. The question would be: 'why?' And what do we replace it with?”
He concluded, ”It's possible we could answer that question. We've made a few games without romances before, and we could do it again. Perhaps, if we made a new IP, we might decide it's best not to open that particular Pandora's Box (which, yes, romances have always been) and go with something else...but that 'something else' better be something damned good, as there are a lot of people who enjoy that part of our games immensely and who might not be willing to buy into a new series which didn't have it. Some folks might be eager to write those fans off, but I'm not really sure that BioWare feels the same."
What do you think? Could our games be doing with a little more romance or should developers just quit trying?
- Call of Duty: Black Ops III is coming to the PS3 and Xbox 360 after all
- Tomonobu Itagaki's Devil's Third gets a release date
- Adr1ft is coming to PC and consoles at the end of the summer
- EA gives the new Mirror's Edge a name – Mirror's Edge Catalyst
- ZombiU PS4 and Xbox One port reportedly in the works
- Mike Bithell's Volume to be released this August
- Gearbox's new shooter Battleborn gets a pre-E3 trailer
- Steam Controller launches in October, Steam Machines arrive in November
- Gears Of War devs Black Tusk change their name to The Coalition ahead of E3