Fodder play PlanetSide free
Sony Online's persistent world first-person shooter PlanetSide never quite lived up to the lofty ambitions of its creators, who must have thought they were basically onto a goldmine blending the oh-so up and coming MMO genre with the super-popular first-person shooter genre. Sadly, it wasn't to be, and many had predicted PlanetSide would close until the in-game advertising apparently introduced a new lease of life. Now a brand new 'Fodder Program', announced by the development team yesterday, could breath yet more new life into what is still effectively the world's only MMOFPS. The new scheme will allow new players to open accounts and game totally free for one whole year, Sony Online clearly hoping that a spot of free play will inspire a new legion of combatants into PlanetSide.
The term 'Fodder' makes more sense when we realise that new players joining under the scheme will be limited by Command and Battle rank, leaving the more experienced subscribers still at the top of the game's hierarchy. "Essentially, new players will be able to have access to any part of the game but they will be limited on the diversity of their arsenal," explained developer Enrico Pallazzo.
PlanetSide's creators hope that new players entering under this program will be able to learn the ropes whilst also entering active play rapidly. Clever clever. We're told the program should kick-off on or around February 14th. Love-ly.
- Final piece of Dark Souls II Season Pass DLC arrives on PC and Xbox 360
- CD Projekt RED releases some concept art for Triss and Emhyr from The Witcher 3
- 2K announces the new MyCareer mode for WWE 2K15
- Microsoft skips 9 and goes straight to announcing Windows 10
- Luis Suarez' ban extends into FIFA 15 as well
- Creative Assembly revives the multiplayer for Rome: Total War – Alexander on Steam
- Shadow Of Mordor launch trailer makes the game look suitably epic
- Minecraft for PS Vita heads into final testing
- PlayStation Home to close next year