Fodder play PlanetSide free
Sony Online's persistent world first-person shooter PlanetSide never quite lived up to the lofty ambitions of its creators, who must have thought they were basically onto a goldmine blending the oh-so up and coming MMO genre with the super-popular first-person shooter genre. Sadly, it wasn't to be, and many had predicted PlanetSide would close until the in-game advertising apparently introduced a new lease of life. Now a brand new 'Fodder Program', announced by the development team yesterday, could breath yet more new life into what is still effectively the world's only MMOFPS. The new scheme will allow new players to open accounts and game totally free for one whole year, Sony Online clearly hoping that a spot of free play will inspire a new legion of combatants into PlanetSide.
The term 'Fodder' makes more sense when we realise that new players joining under the scheme will be limited by Command and Battle rank, leaving the more experienced subscribers still at the top of the game's hierarchy. "Essentially, new players will be able to have access to any part of the game but they will be limited on the diversity of their arsenal," explained developer Enrico Pallazzo.
PlanetSide's creators hope that new players entering under this program will be able to learn the ropes whilst also entering active play rapidly. Clever clever. We're told the program should kick-off on or around February 14th. Love-ly.
- Riot Games in talks with European ISPs over building a dedicated League Of Legends network
- New 2-on-2 mode lands in Destiny's Crucible
- Second Life Is Strange developer diaries arrives, Reddit AMA planned for next week
- Destiny's Crota's End Raid beaten in 27 minutes on Hard Mode
- Techland to show off Dying Light's asymmetric multiplayer Be A Zombie mode tomorrow
- You won't need a new graphics card in order to use DirectX 12
- Dying Light physical launch outside North America coming end of February with free DLC for all
- Telltale's Game Of Thrones Episode 2 coming at the beginning of next month
- Sony unveils special edition Bloodborne PS4s for Japan