Fodder play PlanetSide free
Sony Online's persistent world first-person shooter PlanetSide never quite lived up to the lofty ambitions of its creators, who must have thought they were basically onto a goldmine blending the oh-so up and coming MMO genre with the super-popular first-person shooter genre. Sadly, it wasn't to be, and many had predicted PlanetSide would close until the in-game advertising apparently introduced a new lease of life. Now a brand new 'Fodder Program', announced by the development team yesterday, could breath yet more new life into what is still effectively the world's only MMOFPS. The new scheme will allow new players to open accounts and game totally free for one whole year, Sony Online clearly hoping that a spot of free play will inspire a new legion of combatants into PlanetSide.
The term 'Fodder' makes more sense when we realise that new players joining under the scheme will be limited by Command and Battle rank, leaving the more experienced subscribers still at the top of the game's hierarchy. "Essentially, new players will be able to have access to any part of the game but they will be limited on the diversity of their arsenal," explained developer Enrico Pallazzo.
PlanetSide's creators hope that new players entering under this program will be able to learn the ropes whilst also entering active play rapidly. Clever clever. We're told the program should kick-off on or around February 14th. Love-ly.
- Watch Us Play.tm: Metro Redux
- Capcom suing Koei Tecmo for a lot of patent infringement
- New fighters and gameply features come in with EA Sports UFC's second free update
- NHL 15 demo faces off on PS4 and Xbox One
- Chair bringing the Infinity Blade saga to a close next week
- Watchmen and Dexter actors provide the voices for The Evil Within
- Square Enix apologises over confusion surrounding the Rise Of The Tomb Raider announcement
- Antitrust issues caused Google to back out of buying Twitch
- Metro Redux launch trailer arrives as the collection launches in North America