Fodder play PlanetSide free
Sony Online's persistent world first-person shooter PlanetSide never quite lived up to the lofty ambitions of its creators, who must have thought they were basically onto a goldmine blending the oh-so up and coming MMO genre with the super-popular first-person shooter genre. Sadly, it wasn't to be, and many had predicted PlanetSide would close until the in-game advertising apparently introduced a new lease of life. Now a brand new 'Fodder Program', announced by the development team yesterday, could breath yet more new life into what is still effectively the world's only MMOFPS. The new scheme will allow new players to open accounts and game totally free for one whole year, Sony Online clearly hoping that a spot of free play will inspire a new legion of combatants into PlanetSide.
The term 'Fodder' makes more sense when we realise that new players joining under the scheme will be limited by Command and Battle rank, leaving the more experienced subscribers still at the top of the game's hierarchy. "Essentially, new players will be able to have access to any part of the game but they will be limited on the diversity of their arsenal," explained developer Enrico Pallazzo.
PlanetSide's creators hope that new players entering under this program will be able to learn the ropes whilst also entering active play rapidly. Clever clever. We're told the program should kick-off on or around February 14th. Love-ly.
- Almost 1,100 developers, students and journalists sign the new #gamediversity petition embracing diversity in games
- Felicia Day breaks her silence about #Gamergate, is almost immediately doxxed
- Ubisoft announces PC specs for Assassin's Creed: Unity and they're killer
- Dark Souls 2 could see a fourth pack of DLC released
- Far Cry 4 is all about player choice, has five endings
- Call Of Duty: Advanced Warfare PC system specifications announced
- Evolution adds more multiplayer events to Driveclub as they continue to work on the game's server issues
- Rockstar announces a San Andreas 10th Anniversary event this weekend for GTA Online
- Dead Or Alive 5: Last Round gets a release date