New Star Trek game warps-in
It's been a long time since all that procrastinated bitching between Activision and Viacom over alleged 'damage' to the IP was blamed on poor game sales, and the series as a gaming phenomenon has certainly slipped from interest in the last year or so. A new Star Trek is, none the less, in the works, Mad Doc Software apparently crafting Star Trek Legacy for the PC and the Xbox 360. "We've always wanted to do a Star Trek game that captures the core Star Trek fantasy," Mad Doc CEO Ian Lane Davis told Game Informer. "When you look at the history of Star Trek games, there have been some good games, but we felt we haven't had the chance to make the game the Star Trek fans want until now."
The new game is all about space combat, we're told, the player initially taking charge of the Enterprise NX-01 before graduating on to control of two main ships, with and two smaller combat craft. You'll be able to upgrade your ship via Command Points accrued in battle, adding to the shield, photon torpedoes, et al. The game isn't about to become pure dog-fighting, however, Lane Davis explaining "It's 'I command a starfleet' action... We treat the ships as your characters. " The destruction of a ship is a big, big deal, we're told - Lane Davis highlighting its extreme rarity during the Star Trek TV series (or could that be linked to their special effects budget?).
An eight player online mode for the PC and Xbox Live is rumoured, and the singleplayer campaign will evolve over the three 'generations' commencing with the original series. All the usual baddies, including the pasty-heads, will be present. Rumour online has it that the game looks stunning, and we're not going to argue, but we will keep you posted on Legacy as we learn more.
- Final piece of Dark Souls II Season Pass DLC arrives on PC and Xbox 360
- CD Projekt RED releases some concept art for Triss and Emhyr from The Witcher 3
- 2K announces the new MyCareer mode for WWE 2K15
- Microsoft skips 9 and goes straight to announcing Windows 10
- Luis Suarez' ban extends into FIFA 15 as well
- Creative Assembly revives the multiplayer for Rome: Total War – Alexander on Steam
- Shadow Of Mordor launch trailer makes the game look suitably epic
- Minecraft for PS Vita heads into final testing
- PlayStation Home to close next year