New Star Trek game warps-in
It's been a long time since all that procrastinated bitching between Activision and Viacom over alleged 'damage' to the IP was blamed on poor game sales, and the series as a gaming phenomenon has certainly slipped from interest in the last year or so. A new Star Trek is, none the less, in the works, Mad Doc Software apparently crafting Star Trek Legacy for the PC and the Xbox 360. "We've always wanted to do a Star Trek game that captures the core Star Trek fantasy," Mad Doc CEO Ian Lane Davis told Game Informer. "When you look at the history of Star Trek games, there have been some good games, but we felt we haven't had the chance to make the game the Star Trek fans want until now."
The new game is all about space combat, we're told, the player initially taking charge of the Enterprise NX-01 before graduating on to control of two main ships, with and two smaller combat craft. You'll be able to upgrade your ship via Command Points accrued in battle, adding to the shield, photon torpedoes, et al. The game isn't about to become pure dog-fighting, however, Lane Davis explaining "It's 'I command a starfleet' action... We treat the ships as your characters. " The destruction of a ship is a big, big deal, we're told - Lane Davis highlighting its extreme rarity during the Star Trek TV series (or could that be linked to their special effects budget?).
An eight player online mode for the PC and Xbox Live is rumoured, and the singleplayer campaign will evolve over the three 'generations' commencing with the original series. All the usual baddies, including the pasty-heads, will be present. Rumour online has it that the game looks stunning, and we're not going to argue, but we will keep you posted on Legacy as we learn more.
- Elite creator David Braben to be honoured with this year's BAFTA Fellowship
- The date's out but Konami reveals the Collector's Edition of Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain
- New Steam Link hardware unveiled by Valve, Steam Controllers dated
- Valve announces the Source 2 engine
- Bethesda announces Wolfenstein: Old Blood a prequel to The New Order
- OlliOlli 2 devs Roll7 troll the game's Twitter critics
- DayZ creator teams up with Improbable to make the game worlds he's always wanted
- Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD Remaster coming to the PS4 in the summer
- [Update] Possible March PS Plus Instant Game Collection line-up appears on NeoGAF