New Star Trek game warps-in
It's been a long time since all that procrastinated bitching between Activision and Viacom over alleged 'damage' to the IP was blamed on poor game sales, and the series as a gaming phenomenon has certainly slipped from interest in the last year or so. A new Star Trek is, none the less, in the works, Mad Doc Software apparently crafting Star Trek Legacy for the PC and the Xbox 360. "We've always wanted to do a Star Trek game that captures the core Star Trek fantasy," Mad Doc CEO Ian Lane Davis told Game Informer. "When you look at the history of Star Trek games, there have been some good games, but we felt we haven't had the chance to make the game the Star Trek fans want until now."
The new game is all about space combat, we're told, the player initially taking charge of the Enterprise NX-01 before graduating on to control of two main ships, with and two smaller combat craft. You'll be able to upgrade your ship via Command Points accrued in battle, adding to the shield, photon torpedoes, et al. The game isn't about to become pure dog-fighting, however, Lane Davis explaining "It's 'I command a starfleet' action... We treat the ships as your characters. " The destruction of a ship is a big, big deal, we're told - Lane Davis highlighting its extreme rarity during the Star Trek TV series (or could that be linked to their special effects budget?).
An eight player online mode for the PC and Xbox Live is rumoured, and the singleplayer campaign will evolve over the three 'generations' commencing with the original series. All the usual baddies, including the pasty-heads, will be present. Rumour online has it that the game looks stunning, and we're not going to argue, but we will keep you posted on Legacy as we learn more.
- Sony claims “no evidence” of a breach after hacker group claims to have leaked PSN account details online
- Activision using copyright strikes to remove Call Of Duty: Advanced Warfare glitch videos from YouTube
- Steam Thanksgiving Sale to begin later this week
- Irrational Games seems to be hiring again
- Gorgeous Xbox One metroidvania adventure Ori And The Blind Forest delayed into next year
- Crytek bringing the action fo Warface to Siberia
- Warner Bros releases brand new Batman: Arkham Knight gameplay footage
- Remedy casts a Hobbit and an X-Man in Quantum Theory
- Report finds that the 100 USD tier of Assassin's Creed: Unity's microtransactions is completely unnecessary