New Star Trek game warps-in
It's been a long time since all that procrastinated bitching between Activision and Viacom over alleged 'damage' to the IP was blamed on poor game sales, and the series as a gaming phenomenon has certainly slipped from interest in the last year or so. A new Star Trek is, none the less, in the works, Mad Doc Software apparently crafting Star Trek Legacy for the PC and the Xbox 360. "We've always wanted to do a Star Trek game that captures the core Star Trek fantasy," Mad Doc CEO Ian Lane Davis told Game Informer. "When you look at the history of Star Trek games, there have been some good games, but we felt we haven't had the chance to make the game the Star Trek fans want until now."
The new game is all about space combat, we're told, the player initially taking charge of the Enterprise NX-01 before graduating on to control of two main ships, with and two smaller combat craft. You'll be able to upgrade your ship via Command Points accrued in battle, adding to the shield, photon torpedoes, et al. The game isn't about to become pure dog-fighting, however, Lane Davis explaining "It's 'I command a starfleet' action... We treat the ships as your characters. " The destruction of a ship is a big, big deal, we're told - Lane Davis highlighting its extreme rarity during the Star Trek TV series (or could that be linked to their special effects budget?).
An eight player online mode for the PC and Xbox Live is rumoured, and the singleplayer campaign will evolve over the three 'generations' commencing with the original series. All the usual baddies, including the pasty-heads, will be present. Rumour online has it that the game looks stunning, and we're not going to argue, but we will keep you posted on Legacy as we learn more.
- Call of Duty: Black Ops III is coming to the PS3 and Xbox 360 after all
- Tomonobu Itagaki's Devil's Third gets a release date
- Adr1ft is coming to PC and consoles at the end of the summer
- EA gives the new Mirror's Edge a name – Mirror's Edge Catalyst
- ZombiU PS4 and Xbox One port reportedly in the works
- Mike Bithell's Volume to be released this August
- Gearbox's new shooter Battleborn gets a pre-E3 trailer
- Steam Controller launches in October, Steam Machines arrive in November
- Gears Of War devs Black Tusk change their name to The Coalition ahead of E3