Xbox 360 Japan targets 1m
Microsoft chiefs currently looking to the launch of the Xbox 360 in Japan have revealed a target of one-million console sales by summer 2006, stating that the one-million target will help the console compete in this key gaming region and attract the interest of developers and publishers. The original Xbox has yet to hit 500,000, suffering from a lack of local interest many critics have blamed on a dirge of titles catering to local tastes. "It's only a target, but the one million mark is a figure we'd like to reach by next summer," business manager Yoshihiro Maruyama told Dengeki Xbox 360 magazine. "And then we'd like to go to 1.5 million, then 2 million in next year's end of year sales rush."
"We believe the one million mark to be an important figure. If we cross one million, it will be easier for developers to do business, so we'd of course like to reach it quickly," the boss explained. What he didn't mention, unsurprisingly, was that the Sony PS3 is also due to launch in Japan next spring/summer, giving Microsoft extra incentive to hit the one-million mark as rapidly as possible. Only one Xbox 360 package will be launched in Japan, the Premium HDD enabled set, costing a very reasonable 39,800 Yen (about 190 GBP).
Tthe Xbox 360's Japanese debut comes on December 10th, though the launch has been hit by a number of key delays in locally made games - which will be a worry to chiefs keen to offer more games for the system from famous Japanese designers. There's not even an RPG on the day one line-up. Dead or Alive 4 will however be out on the 17th we're told.
- New Assassin's Creed: Unity patch is a bit on the large side
- Wonder what Zombie mode looks like for Call Of Duty: Advanced Warfare? Here's a trailer
- Xbox 360 Titanfall players getting a massive update next week
- Ubisoft pulls the Assassin's Creed: Unity Season Pass, offering free DLC and games to apologize for the problems with the game
- Dark Souls migration over to Steam delayed into next month now
- Sony to give partial refunds to PS Vita early adopters over misleading launch advertising
- And here's the goodies that Games With Gold will get you in December
- Nival announces beta access and a massive gun for pre-ordering Blitzkrieg 3
- Evolve developers promise that all map DLC will be free