Microsoft offered Youtubers bonuses for positive mentions of Xbox One
News of a supposedly secret new promotion Microsoft are offering to Machinima video partners has leaked onto the internet.
The offer provides Youtubers a bonus 3 USD per thousand views for showing Xbox One game footage within the first two minutes of their videos along with a verbal statement that it is Xbox One gameplay footage.
The agreement also stipulated, "You may not say anything negative or disparaging about Machinima, Xbox One or any of its games in your campaign video." The full text of the agreement is available over on Pastebin.
News of the deal was leaked by Machinima's UK community manager on Twitter (message now deleted) which said, “Check your emails now guys for 'Earn an additional $3 CPM bonus for promoting Xbox One!”. It's the easiest/best promo we've ever done!”
Machinima's private activity feed on Poptent states that the offer has ended as of the 17th of January so it looks like the 1.25 million views limit has already been reached. As it stands there are 431 entries on Youtube bearing the XB1M13 tag.
There is a confidentiality clause in the agreement which could violate US Federal Trade Commission guidelines that requires that the endorser disclose anything that may “materially affect the weight or credibility of the endorsement (i.e., the connection is not reasonably expected by the audience)”.
Neither Microsoft or Machinima have chosen to comment on the matter at the time of posting.
Thanks Ars Technica.
- Trine series sells 7 million copies, Frozenbyte releases user-creation tools
- Lots of teary-eyed gamers as more Star Wars: Battlefront 3 gameplay footage leaks out
- Jade Raymond leaves Ubisoft Toronto to pursue new opportunities
- Ryse: Son Of Rome scores Best Game Design award at the Animago Awards in Germany
- Activision releases the launch trailer for Call Of Duty: Advanced Warfare a little early
- Rockstar won't be holding a beta for GTA Online on the PC
- UK to toughen up laws on internet harassment
- Final Fantasy XIV Heavensward expansion announced for release next year, first screenshots released
- Driveclub issues persist as players report trouble downloading the latest patch