Spector knocks 'formulaic' games
Warren Spector, the acclaimed mind behind Deus Ex and former ION Storm boss has attacked developers and publishers for relying too much on formulaic and unoriginal game designs, at a time when a spot of daring and innovation is required to progress the art form. Spector made his comments during an interview with the Canadian press agency at the Montreal Game Summit. "I'm really angry at the Rockstar guys. Not like I'm going to go beat them up and yell at them, but they frustrate me because Grand Theft Auto III, in particular, was an amazing advance in game design," Spector told the agency. "It was a stunning accomplishment as a game design. And it was wrapped in a context that completely for me undid all the good they did on the design side."
He labelled the GTA series the "ultimate urban thuggery simulation" and pointed to the negative impact titles like it have on the perception of games in mainstream culture. "It's like I want to tell my mother: 'This is what games can be.' But I can't because they don't get past the beating people up with a baseball bat, stealing cars and crashing them, and the foul language and stuff, and I don't think it is necessary."
He went on, explaining that he would love to see the design expertise behind a game like GTA put to use in a more original, imaginative theme, something that 'enriches', rather than 'debases' the 'culture'.
"Stagnation is not the friend of any medium - and anybody who thinks it is is going to go out of business," Spector added on the scourge of predictability, adding that it was unfortunate that rising development costs were putting the squeeze on smaller more creative developments.
Spector is currently hard at work on a fantasy title at his new studio Junction Point. We'll keep you posted on this.
- Dark Souls 2 could see a fourth pack of DLC released
- Far Cry 4 is all about player choice, has five endings
- Call Of Duty: Advanced Warfare PC system specifications announced
- Evolution adds more multiplayer events to Driveclub as they continue to work on the game's server issues
- Rockstar announces a San Andreas 10th Anniversary event this weekend for GTA Online
- Dead Or Alive 5: Last Round gets a release date
- Unfinished Swan to hit the PS4 and PS Vita next week
- Gamersgate.com CEO emphasizes that they have nothing to do with #Gamergate
- Microsoft announces the feature list for the November Xbox One update