Respawn addresses the anger over 12-player cap on Titanfall games
The 12-player cap on Titanfall's games has caused a bit of uproar on the internet especially when compared to the player limits on the next-gen versions of EA stablemate Battlefield 4.
One of Respawn's designers has jumped on Twitter to explain the limits and why they chose 12 players as the cap for Titanfall and that the decision was no plucked out of the air, nor was it due to technical limitations.
"Lots of armchair game designing going on in here. I’d suggest playing before judging a something as insignificant as a number in a vacuum," the designer said. “Vince is right – we tried a huge amount of player-counts (all the way down to 1v1 and up quite high) and designed the maps, gameplay mechanics, and entire experience around which played best. If anyone wants to chase the numbers game, perhaps we’re not the experience they’re after? I dunno.”
“And FYI,” he added, “for amount of stuff happening at once in a map you’ll be hard pressed to find a game that keeps the action higher. I literally have to stop playing every few rounds because my heart just can’t take it some times. Remember, you can get out of your Titan and let it roam on AI mode – meaning there can be 12 Pilots wallrunning around, 12 Titans stomping below, and dozens of AI doing their thing.”
Having played Titanfall at the end of the summer last year I can quite happily say that I didn't notice that the game had only 12 players in it and I'm sure that most gamers will realise that what Respawn are doing provides much more than just 12 players facing off on a multiplayer map.
Titanfall arrives for PC, Xbox One and Xbox 360 on March 11th in North America and March 14th in Europe.
- Deep Silver to publish Kenji Inafune's Mighty No. 9, heading for a September release
- D4: Dark Dreams Don't Die is coming to PC
- Konami voluntarily delists itself from the New York Stock Exchange
- Paid Skyrim mods become the shortest experiment in Steam history
- Warner Bros announces Batman: Arkham Knight Season Pass and Premium Edition
- New Just Cause 3 gameplay trailer features all of the destruction
- Techland announces a Dying Light modding contest alongside new updates for the toolset
- 2K announces the Evolve Proving Grounds tournament in conjunction with ESL
- Broken Age: Part 2 arrives for backers 24 hours ahead of the full launch