Respawn addresses the anger over 12-player cap on Titanfall games
The 12-player cap on Titanfall's games has caused a bit of uproar on the internet especially when compared to the player limits on the next-gen versions of EA stablemate Battlefield 4.
One of Respawn's designers has jumped on Twitter to explain the limits and why they chose 12 players as the cap for Titanfall and that the decision was no plucked out of the air, nor was it due to technical limitations.
"Lots of armchair game designing going on in here. I’d suggest playing before judging a something as insignificant as a number in a vacuum," the designer said. “Vince is right – we tried a huge amount of player-counts (all the way down to 1v1 and up quite high) and designed the maps, gameplay mechanics, and entire experience around which played best. If anyone wants to chase the numbers game, perhaps we’re not the experience they’re after? I dunno.”
“And FYI,” he added, “for amount of stuff happening at once in a map you’ll be hard pressed to find a game that keeps the action higher. I literally have to stop playing every few rounds because my heart just can’t take it some times. Remember, you can get out of your Titan and let it roam on AI mode – meaning there can be 12 Pilots wallrunning around, 12 Titans stomping below, and dozens of AI doing their thing.”
Having played Titanfall at the end of the summer last year I can quite happily say that I didn't notice that the game had only 12 players in it and I'm sure that most gamers will realise that what Respawn are doing provides much more than just 12 players facing off on a multiplayer map.
Titanfall arrives for PC, Xbox One and Xbox 360 on March 11th in North America and March 14th in Europe.
- Castlevania: Lords Of Shadow producer Dave Cox parts ways with Konami
- Xenoblade Chronicles coming to the New 3DS
- Deep Silver teases a devilish Saints Row V reveal
- Nintendo announces two brand new upgraded 3DS models
- Microsoft announces Games With Gold selection for September
- IGDA Board Of Directors calls for the community to rally against attacks, threats and harassment of developers
- Square Enix reveals what they've added in Kingdom Hearts HD 2.5 ReMIX in the latest trailer
- New Lords Of The Fallen trailer introduces the game world and soundtrack
- Jonathan Blow responds to the last couple of weeks nastiness in his own honest fashion