Gilbert back in business
Games design veteran Ron Gilbert appears to be back in business, if hints from his blog are to be believed. The former Monkey Island creator is looking to make an overdue return to game design, and the mind that launched a number of top-selling adventure games back in the day is certainly what the industry needs at present. Gilbert already has a concept in mind for his new masterpiece, and is in the process of shopping it around to major publishers, we're told. In his Grumpy Gamer blog, Gilbert commented: "I [was] supposed to jet off to Paris this week to meet with a publisher, but had to cancel because I got sick. The trip has been postponed until next month. I was looking forward to some wine and stinky cheese. I love stinky cheese."
Paris eh? Well, Ubisoft spring immediately to mind (and we reckon they might like smelly cheese, too), but Vivendi-Universal are also centred in Paris, and Atari might also be an outside contender. Ubisoft seem the most likely candidates however, having backed original and daring IPs to a greater degree than most major labels in recent years.
Despite the presumed death of the 'adventure' genre in its original state, Gilbert refused to deny he isn't making a return to the genre he helped forge (having even been quoted asking "Just curious, and I'm not saying it is or isn't, but why would you assume it's not an adventure?"), and this would certainly be a welcome blast from the past, assuming the designer can convince a publisher to back him. Anyway, here's hoping for another Gilbert classic in the offing, and we'll keep you posted as more details emerge.
- Feminist Frequency's Anita Sarkeesian driven out of her home by internet abuse
- Shadow Realms lead writer talks the inspiration behind the game's story
- PlayStation Allstars and Joe Danger headline September's PS Plus Instant Game Collection
- Titanfall will ge more cool free stuff after the last DLC but Respawn won't support it indefinitely
- Gauntlet release date pushed back
- Yakuza Zero announced for PS4 and PS3
- Escape Dead Island gets a release date, comes with guaranteed access to the Dead Island 2 beta
- Diablo III: Reaper Of Souls PC patch 2.1.0 arrives
- Next-gen and PC GTA V versions rumoured to be delayed into 2015