Ads enter PlanetSide
Sony Online Entertainment's PlanetSide; the world's first online massively multiplayer first-person shooter, will be cursed with the blight of in-game ads from this month. Virtual billboards will enter the universe for the first time, carrying streaming ads which will help Sony support the title - which has fallen out of the limelight somewhat lately. The ads will be supplied by in-game ad specialists Massive, who are also in cahoots with the likes of Vivendi. Ads are becoming increasingly common in videogames as technology improves and firm's awake to the potential audiences to be tapped through games.
Sony Online are promising that the extra cash earned through in-game ads will be ploughed into the improvement of the persistent world PlanetSide players compete in; many gamers however, will see this as another victory for big business in the increasingly commercially-driven games 'industry'. No specific advertisers have been confirmed by Sony, but several household names are already pushing their wares through billboards in sports games like FIFA. More on this soon.
- IGDA Board Of Directors calls for the community to rally against attacks, threats and harassment of developers
- Square Enix reveals what they've added in Kingdom Hearts HD 2.5 ReMIX in the latest trailer
- New Lords Of The Fallen trailer introduces the game world and soundtrack
- Jonathan Blow responds to the last couple of weeks nastiness in his own honest fashion
- Apple holding a press event on September 9th, likely for iPhone announcement
- Have you ever wondered what Dark Souls would look like as a 2D platformer?
- Microsoft announces a release date for Forza Horizon 2 demo
- Assassin's Creed: Unity release pushed back
- GOG adds DRM-free movies to it's catalogue