Chinese Clinic Tackles Game Addiction
China appear to be recognising the growing social problems related to internet gaming in this burgeoning online nation, and have opened the first official clinic designed to combat internet-related addictions. Apparently, most initial patients will be treated for obsessions with MMOG titles. The clinic is made up mostly of 14 to 24 year-olds currently, who are being treated due to online gaming addictions ruining their lives: either by making them unhealthy, fail school, antisocial or simply unable to do anything other than play games. Problems related to games - almost exclusively online titles - have been on the rise in the Peoples Republic, as the popularity of said titles grows. Indeed, in the last year we have reported on several deaths, suicides and one murder which directly resulted from MMOG playing.
The clinic recognises the need to address this addiction, and whilst the costs are high (about two-and-a-half-times the average city dwellers salary per week) results are said to be positive. One gamer from Beijing being treated at the new clinic, who used to play Diablo for ten hours every single day, commented: "I wasn't normal. In school I didn't pay attention when teachers were talking. All I could do was think about playing the next game. Playing made me happy, I forgot my problems."
More on this as we get it.
- Ninja Theory: We'll cross the 1080p/60fps bridge for Hellblade when we come to it
- Standalone DayZ not expected to leave Steam Early Access until 2016
- Telltale gives their Game Of Thrones series final release dates
- Large patch arrives to tackle the matchmaking issues with Halo: The Master Chief Collection
- BioWare looking into a bug stopping banter between party members in Dragon Age: Inquisition
- New Assassin's Creed: Unity patch introduces a new visual bug
- Metal Gear Online will return, reveal coming at The Game Awards 2014
- Ever wanted to know which next-gen console would survive a 15-foot drop?
- New Assassin's Creed: Unity patch is a bit on the large side