Chinese Clinic Tackles Game Addiction
China appear to be recognising the growing social problems related to internet gaming in this burgeoning online nation, and have opened the first official clinic designed to combat internet-related addictions. Apparently, most initial patients will be treated for obsessions with MMOG titles. The clinic is made up mostly of 14 to 24 year-olds currently, who are being treated due to online gaming addictions ruining their lives: either by making them unhealthy, fail school, antisocial or simply unable to do anything other than play games. Problems related to games - almost exclusively online titles - have been on the rise in the Peoples Republic, as the popularity of said titles grows. Indeed, in the last year we have reported on several deaths, suicides and one murder which directly resulted from MMOG playing.
The clinic recognises the need to address this addiction, and whilst the costs are high (about two-and-a-half-times the average city dwellers salary per week) results are said to be positive. One gamer from Beijing being treated at the new clinic, who used to play Diablo for ten hours every single day, commented: "I wasn't normal. In school I didn't pay attention when teachers were talking. All I could do was think about playing the next game. Playing made me happy, I forgot my problems."
More on this as we get it.
- Ken Levine's next game is a first-person sci-fi title
- Battlefield: Hardline beta coming to all platforms next week
- Transistor and Yakuza 4 among February's PS Plus Instant Game Collection pickings
- Third and final Life Is Strange development diary arrives ahead of tomorrow's launch of episode one
- Nintendo shows profits despite the Wii U continuing to underperform
- Goetia demo is now live
- There's a whole load of LEGO games coming this year including LEGO Jurassic World
- Resident Evil: Revelations 2 devs confident that Resident Evil 7 will be mind-blowing
- Steam content creators raise more than 50 million USD making hats for Team Fortress 2 and the like