Chinese Clinic Tackles Game Addiction
China appear to be recognising the growing social problems related to internet gaming in this burgeoning online nation, and have opened the first official clinic designed to combat internet-related addictions. Apparently, most initial patients will be treated for obsessions with MMOG titles. The clinic is made up mostly of 14 to 24 year-olds currently, who are being treated due to online gaming addictions ruining their lives: either by making them unhealthy, fail school, antisocial or simply unable to do anything other than play games. Problems related to games - almost exclusively online titles - have been on the rise in the Peoples Republic, as the popularity of said titles grows. Indeed, in the last year we have reported on several deaths, suicides and one murder which directly resulted from MMOG playing.
The clinic recognises the need to address this addiction, and whilst the costs are high (about two-and-a-half-times the average city dwellers salary per week) results are said to be positive. One gamer from Beijing being treated at the new clinic, who used to play Diablo for ten hours every single day, commented: "I wasn't normal. In school I didn't pay attention when teachers were talking. All I could do was think about playing the next game. Playing made me happy, I forgot my problems."
More on this as we get it.
- Thomas Was Alone gets a release date for PS4 and Wii U
- New Warframe update adds space-flight to the gameplay with Archwing mode
- New poll indicates that people believe online gaming is “the least welcoming space” for women
- CD Projekt RED releases The Trail, the opening cinematic from The Witcher 3
- New Project CARS trailer pulls up to the starting grid
- Far Cry 4 dev says linear games will suffer in the new world of gameplay video sharing
- Almost 1,100 developers, students and journalists sign the new #gamediversity petition embracing diversity in games
- Felicia Day breaks her silence about #Gamergate, is almost immediately doxxed
- Ubisoft announces PC specs for Assassin's Creed: Unity and they're killer