UMD support grows
More PSP news today, as several major film producers announce plans for further support of the UMD media format used in the PSP. Buena Vista have announced a version of The Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy on the handheld platform, and Sony Pictures has also confirmed it will launch nineteen new flicks in tandem with the PAL launch on September 1st. Films on the agenda include Ghostbusters, Bad Boys, Once Upon a Time in Mexico, The Punisher and Charlie's Angels. The likes of Hitch, Anacondas, A Knight's Tale, and Resident Evil are also planned.
UMD movies are expected to cost somewhere around the £20 mark (about $35 US), and Twentieth Century Fox have also announced a range of titles for the PAL launch, including Alien vs. Predator, Dodgeball, League of Extraordinary Gentlemen and I, Robot. PAL region gamers will be able, like their US counterparts, to bag a free copy of Spider-Man 2 on UMD at launch - but sadly it won't be in the box... you'll have to register your PSP online instead. Buena Vista were originally the first studio to confirm PAL support for UMD, declaring "The arrival of film on UMD is the most exciting development in the home entertainment arena since the arrival of DVD some seven years ago."
Finally, the online-available software 'Movies on PSP' will allow you to dispense with all that UMD nonsense, instead converting your DVDs and 'downloads' to PSP friendly formats for playing from the memory stick. The software will be out on August 12th. More soon.
- First Nosgoth eSports tournament to begin next month
- Stealth Inc 2 trailer peeks it head out of the shadows
- The Crew beta launches on PS4 and Xbox One next week
- PS3 and Xbox 360 versions of Dying Light cancelled, Techland describes their development as painful
- Sony investigating issues resulting from the release of PS4 firmware 2.0
- New trailer makes Final Fantasy Type-0 HD look like the darkest Final Fantasy game yet
- Screenshot on the PlayStation Blog points to an Uncharted re-release on PS4
- EA gives a release window for Star Wars: Battlefront
- Activision announces details and a release date for Destiny's first DLC The Dark Below