The prospects for Microsoft after the Rare purchase
New report from Datamonitor.
A brief report just in from games industry analysts Datamonitor, penned by Frederic Diot, comments on the acquisition of Rare by Microsoft. The estimated price-tag was between $400-540 million, and the report suggests that initially this purchase will not bear great fruit for the Xbox, owing to the lengthy development times of titles. The report goes on to suggest, however, that the move could be more profitable for Microsoft in the long-term, specifically in a battle for market-share between the Xbox 2 and the Playstation 3, in which Rare’s originality could pay dividends. Read the full release from Datamonitor here.
- Halcyon 6: Starbase Commander passes Square Enix Collective and heads to Kickstarter
- Zombie Army Trilogy shambles onto PC and next-gen consoles
- Sony aiming to release Project Morpheus in 2016
- BioWare's David Gaider moves from Dragon Age to a new secret BioWare project
- Cross-Buy coming to Windows 10 and Xbox One staring with Zen Pinball FX2
- Bungie knew about Destiny's loot cave before launch
- This year's BAFTA Games Awards to stream live on Twitch, watch it here
- Harmonix confirms Rock Band 4 coming to next-gen consoles this year
- Wasteland 2 also coming to the PS4