The prospects for Microsoft after the Rare purchase
New report from Datamonitor.
A brief report just in from games industry analysts Datamonitor, penned by Frederic Diot, comments on the acquisition of Rare by Microsoft. The estimated price-tag was between $400-540 million, and the report suggests that initially this purchase will not bear great fruit for the Xbox, owing to the lengthy development times of titles. The report goes on to suggest, however, that the move could be more profitable for Microsoft in the long-term, specifically in a battle for market-share between the Xbox 2 and the Playstation 3, in which Rare’s originality could pay dividends. Read the full release from Datamonitor here.
- Call of Duty: Black Ops III is coming to the PS3 and Xbox 360 after all
- Tomonobu Itagaki's Devil's Third gets a release date
- Adr1ft is coming to PC and consoles at the end of the summer
- EA gives the new Mirror's Edge a name – Mirror's Edge Catalyst
- ZombiU PS4 and Xbox One port reportedly in the works
- Mike Bithell's Volume to be released this August
- Gearbox's new shooter Battleborn gets a pre-E3 trailer
- Steam Controller launches in October, Steam Machines arrive in November
- Gears Of War devs Black Tusk change their name to The Coalition ahead of E3