Wanted: Next Need for Speed
In a shock announcement today, EA have announced that the next instalment in their wildly successful Need for Speed series will not be appearing on all the major platforms, preferring instead to make it exclusively for the plucky wee Gizmondo handheld. Oops, sorry, I must have read the press release wrong. Instead, Need for Speed Most Wanted, as the game will be known, will be available for every single gaming platform except the Gizmondo. PC, PS2, Xbox, GBA, Gamecube, DS and PSP versions are all under development at EA Canada. Work is also under way for an as yet unspecified next-gen console, which given the timescales involved at EA's factories must be the Xbox 2. By the time the PS3 rolls into production it will be NFSMW 2 clogging up the shelves.
NFSMW will mark the return of police cars to the series, as players will battle their way through the game vying to become the most notorious racer on the street. There will be plenty of head-to-head races and up to six cop cars will chase the player around the streets, hopefully to the accompaniment of the Benny Hill music. "Out-race your opponents, evade cops and exploit the open world in Need for Speed Most Wanted; street racing doesn't get any better than this," said Larry LaPierre, senior producer, EA Canada. "Players instantly will feel the thrill of the ride as they hit the streets in an open world environment where drivers can tune their cars to compete against any class of vehicles or use their wits to out-fox the law to satisfy their need for speed." Players will build up a Rap-Sheet and street cred as they work their way up the Blacklist to become the most wanted racer on the streets. NFSMW will play out in an open dynamic world with all the usual host of tuning and pimping options that now so characterise the Need for Speed series. More soon.
- Visuals are key to the PS4's success according to Nielsen's latest survey
- Sledgehammer considering revisiting classic multiplayer maps for Call Of Duty: Advanced Warfare
- New ToeJam & Earl game comes to Kickstarter
- Free login campaign announced as Final Fantasy XIV tops 4 million registered users
- Fable Legends will be free-to-play on both PC and Xbox One
- Bastion will hit the PS4 in April
- Sierra bringing Velocity 2X to Xbox One and PC
- This month is a triple-A bonanza for Xbox gamers on Games With Gold
- New House Of Wolves leak shows a Reef social hub for Destiny