Doom RPG Mobilised
id Software head honcho and highly-respected technical wizard John Carmack has revealed that he is currently working on a turn-based role-playing game for mobile platforms. Whilst id's next major project remains secret, Carmack is creating a Doom RPG for mobiles, which he describes as "Bard's Tale meets Doom."
"Step based smooth sliding/turning tile movement and combat works out well for the phone input buttons," he observes in his blog, adding "Exploring a 3D world through the cell phone window is pretty neat." He also notes the difficulty of creating an immersive world on a two-inch screen. "Moody and atmospheric are pretty much out. Stylish and fun is about the best you can do."
"The biggest problem is that Java is really slow," he commented on the difficulties of coding for mobile platforms. "On a pure cpu/memory/display/communications level, most modern cell phones should be considerably better gaming platforms than a Game Boy Advance. With Java, on most phones you are left with about the CPU power of an original 4.77 MHz IBM PC, and lousy control over everything."
Fountainhead Entertainment have been hired to turn Carmack's technology and plans into a fully-fledged game, whilst Jamdat will be publishing the title. No word on a release date, but presumably this interesting diversion is still some way off.
- UK to toughen up laws on internet harassment
- Driveclub issues persist as players report trouble downloading the latest patch
- New featurette release talking about faithfully recreating the artwork from The Legend Of Korra in the new game
- Sony details PS4 update 2.00, Music player is among the highlights
- Runefest 2014 Runescape's most successful fanfest yet
- Project CARS delayed into 2015 to push it out of the busy Christmas release schedule
- Halo: The Master Chief Collection needs a 20 GB day one update because 343 filled up the 45GB game disc
- SEGA announces the Fox Company pre-order bonus for Company Of Heroes 2: Ardennes Assault
- Tim Schafer has finally finished writing Broken Age Act 2