The Collective finds Backbone
Two major US developers have this week announced a merger which will create the largest North American independent developer. Backbone Entertainment and The Collective will combine forces in order to better ride out and adapt to the tough times the industry continues to endure, and will perhaps experience even more so as the next-generation of consoles rolls into living rooms. "There's a lot of nervousness about the scale and scope of games increasing," commented Backbone CEO Jon Goldman with resignation. "It will physically become impossible to do great games with a small team with the next generation of games coming on."
"We see great opportunities that can only be addressed by pooling talent and financial resources," he added in an interview with the Wall Street Journal. "We will be able to better invest in technology, processes and creative opportunities that will make us a key player in the future of game development and beyond." The merged developers will henceforth be known collectively as Foundation 9 Entertainment. Backbone are the studio behind Death Jnr. For the PSP, whilst The Collective are tackling Episode III: Revenge of the Sith. More news on this soon.
- Microsoft doubles down for April's Games With Gold
- Every wondered what it would be like in James Bond and Joanna Dark met? Cara Ellison and Irene Koh have answered that question
- Dirty Bomb beta is back online
- Obsidian's saviour Pillars Of Eternity launches today, Watch it streamed live here later today
- Infinite Crisis launches fully today on Steam
- Here's what the new Hunters and the Behemoth for Evolve look like in action
- Blood and Burning and Celts Culture DLC Packs arrive for Total War: Attila
- F1 2015 coming to PC, PS4 and Xbox One this summer, first screenshots released
- Ubisoft introduces Alex Parizeau, the new head of Ubisoft Toronto