The Collective finds Backbone
Two major US developers have this week announced a merger which will create the largest North American independent developer. Backbone Entertainment and The Collective will combine forces in order to better ride out and adapt to the tough times the industry continues to endure, and will perhaps experience even more so as the next-generation of consoles rolls into living rooms. "There's a lot of nervousness about the scale and scope of games increasing," commented Backbone CEO Jon Goldman with resignation. "It will physically become impossible to do great games with a small team with the next generation of games coming on."
"We see great opportunities that can only be addressed by pooling talent and financial resources," he added in an interview with the Wall Street Journal. "We will be able to better invest in technology, processes and creative opportunities that will make us a key player in the future of game development and beyond." The merged developers will henceforth be known collectively as Foundation 9 Entertainment. Backbone are the studio behind Death Jnr. For the PSP, whilst The Collective are tackling Episode III: Revenge of the Sith. More news on this soon.
- Next week's Destiny events detailed
- Swery65's D4: Dark Dreams Don't Die is out now on Xbox One
- Silent Hills could be an episodic title
- Thomas Was Alone is making the jump to the PS4
- Destiny helps give the PS4 a 300 percent sales kick
- New Yakuza 0 trailer shows off 1980s Japan
- Bloodborne's Western release date has been confirmed
- Classic WWII RTS action returns with Blitzkrieg 3
- Tetsuya Nomura leaves Final Fantasy XV to concentrate of Kingdom Hearts III