Ghost Recon Online coming to Steam... Early Access?
Ubisoft has announced that they will be bringing their free-to-play military shooter Ghost Recon Online to Steam via Early Access first.
The game has been around albeit in open beta form for some time already so the decision is mildly puzzling until you consider the success that DayZ, Rust and even Ubisoft's own The Mighty Quest For Epic Loot have seen on Steam Early Access.
Producer Corey Facteau said, “Bringing Ghost Recon Online to Steam has been our goal since the game's inception. We took the time necessary to reach a quality level that can go head to head with the best online games available today before releasing on Steam. To ensure a seamless transition to the new platform, we will use Early Access to fine tune the Ghost Recon Online experience before releasing it to the rest of the world.”
The Mighty Quest For Epic Loot is also destined to be a free-to-play title but it is currently available in beta on Steam Early Access for 14.99 GBP which may explain Ubisoft's eagerness to push GRO on Early Access first.
Ghost Recon Online is already available to Canadian gamers on Steam Early Access and will roll out to the wider world between now and the spring.
- Call of Duty: Black Ops III is coming to the PS3 and Xbox 360 after all
- Tomonobu Itagaki's Devil's Third gets a release date
- Adr1ft is coming to PC and consoles at the end of the summer
- EA gives the new Mirror's Edge a name – Mirror's Edge Catalyst
- ZombiU PS4 and Xbox One port reportedly in the works
- Mike Bithell's Volume to be released this August
- Gearbox's new shooter Battleborn gets a pre-E3 trailer
- Steam Controller launches in October, Steam Machines arrive in November
- Gears Of War devs Black Tusk change their name to The Coalition ahead of E3