Ghost Recon Online coming to Steam... Early Access?
Ubisoft has announced that they will be bringing their free-to-play military shooter Ghost Recon Online to Steam via Early Access first.
The game has been around albeit in open beta form for some time already so the decision is mildly puzzling until you consider the success that DayZ, Rust and even Ubisoft's own The Mighty Quest For Epic Loot have seen on Steam Early Access.
Producer Corey Facteau said, “Bringing Ghost Recon Online to Steam has been our goal since the game's inception. We took the time necessary to reach a quality level that can go head to head with the best online games available today before releasing on Steam. To ensure a seamless transition to the new platform, we will use Early Access to fine tune the Ghost Recon Online experience before releasing it to the rest of the world.”
The Mighty Quest For Epic Loot is also destined to be a free-to-play title but it is currently available in beta on Steam Early Access for 14.99 GBP which may explain Ubisoft's eagerness to push GRO on Early Access first.
Ghost Recon Online is already available to Canadian gamers on Steam Early Access and will roll out to the wider world between now and the spring.
- Next week's Destiny events detailed
- Swery65's D4: Dark Dreams Don't Die is out now on Xbox One
- Silent Hills could be an episodic title
- Thomas Was Alone is making the jump to the PS4
- Destiny helps give the PS4 a 300 percent sales kick
- New Yakuza 0 trailer shows off 1980s Japan
- Bloodborne's Western release date has been confirmed
- Classic WWII RTS action returns with Blitzkrieg 3
- Tetsuya Nomura leaves Final Fantasy XV to concentrate of Kingdom Hearts III