Final Fantasy creator sides with Microsoft
In a deal which must have Microsoft bosses rubbing their mittens in glee at the prospect of a revitalised assault on the Japanese market with the Xbox 2 (or 360, if you prefer), Redmond today confirms that the creator of Square's Final Fantasy series has joined Microsoft Game Studios to create two new RPGs. Hironobu Sakaguchi was in charge of game development at Square until 2001, before starting his Mistwalker game studio last year. Both new RPGs will be Xbox exclusive titles, published by Microsoft Game Studios.
"I'm excited about the two epic game titles we will be developing," Sakaguchi enthused. "A number of talented creators have signed on to help develop these games, and I'm confident we will be able to create games that provide gamers with a new kind of thrill."
"Microsoft's cutting-edge technologies in the next-generation platform will allow me to bring to life an array of ideas that I have had for many years," he said. "I want these games to be alive with a new vision for gaming and vividly depict new characters that will transcend the game, find a place in the hearts of gamers, and make time spent with my games a fond and long-lasting memory."
Can Sakaguchi's efforts single-handedly bring the next Xbox success in Japan? Only time will tell, but his creations certainly exude appeal internationally even; his wares having shifted a staggering sixty-million copies to date. More on his two new projects soon.
- Visuals are key to the PS4's success according to Nielsen's latest survey
- Sledgehammer considering revisiting classic multiplayer maps for Call Of Duty: Advanced Warfare
- New ToeJam & Earl game comes to Kickstarter
- Free login campaign announced as Final Fantasy XIV tops 4 million registered users
- Fable Legends will be free-to-play on both PC and Xbox One
- Bastion will hit the PS4 in April
- Sierra bringing Velocity 2X to Xbox One and PC
- This month is a triple-A bonanza for Xbox gamers on Games With Gold
- New House Of Wolves leak shows a Reef social hub for Destiny