DOOM is 20 years old today
Like it or not, and most of you will admit to liking it, DOOM is one of, if not the most influential games of all time.
Without DOOM we wouldn't have the FPS genre as we know it today. That means no Battlefield, no Halo and certainly no Call Of Duty.
If you're more interested in the history of DOOM there's David Kushner's interesting book Masters Of Doom which follows the life and times of Johns Carmack and Romero as they built up id Software, creating DOOM and Quake along the way.
Just don't hold your breath for DOOM 4, it'll probably be a while yet before it sees the light of day.
- Call of Duty: Black Ops III is coming to the PS3 and Xbox 360 after all
- Tomonobu Itagaki's Devil's Third gets a release date
- Adr1ft is coming to PC and consoles at the end of the summer
- EA gives the new Mirror's Edge a name – Mirror's Edge Catalyst
- ZombiU PS4 and Xbox One port reportedly in the works
- Mike Bithell's Volume to be released this August
- Gearbox's new shooter Battleborn gets a pre-E3 trailer
- Steam Controller launches in October, Steam Machines arrive in November
- Gears Of War devs Black Tusk change their name to The Coalition ahead of E3