Epic's Mark Rein still not sure of the value of the second screen to gaming
Epic Games' Mark Rein is not particularly impressed so far by the second screen offerings that have appeared in the games industry so far.
Rein reckons that there's nothing around yet that has proven to be a 'killer app' for second screen functionality in games. That's not to say there won't be though.
Rein stated, “I think we’ve yet to see the real value of the second screen idea, if you’re talking about [Xbox] SmartGlass and companion apps and things like that. But that doesn't mean that it won’t be big one day. I don’t really know what it is yet."
"Where it fits into gaming,” he went on, “I don't know. I’m not sold on picking up my tablet to choose my play and then putting it back down and picking up my controller. It's kind of a wonky way to choose a play, so I don't know if that's how it's going to go or not. Developers should try everything and have lots of fun with it, and sooner or later there will be a killer app for that sort of thing, too.”
Thanks A-List Daily.
- Harmonix announces A City Sleeps, their new music-driven shooter
- Shadow Of Mordor trailer introduces the unique orc character, Ratbag
- Saints Row IV coming to next-gen consoles
- Saints Row: Gat Out Of Hell is a new standalone expansion
- First details of Telltale's Game Of Thrones series arrive
- SEGA unveils the new definitive Total War: Rome II – Emperor Edition
- Prison Architect alpha build 24 arrives
- Bayonetta 2 gets a final release date
- Deep Down now delayed until 2015