PS Vita TV launched in Japan first to encourage growth in the use of streaming says Sony
Streaming is pretty critical to the future for Sony and it seems that they believe that the PS Vita TV is part of that strategy.
SCE chief Andrew House has revealed that they launched the new microconsole in Japan first in order to use it to help promote streaming services which the Japanese have been slower to adopt than Western users.
“We see strong market potential elsewhere in the world,” House stated, “but it will be a different road to market for the US and Europe than has been the case in Japan. It's a very different landscape when you look at the US and Europe – much greater establishment of streaming video services, and much greater understanding of what that concept's all about. It's still very much in a nascent stage in Japan compared to some of the markets in Europe or the US.”
He continued, "This may sound slightly counter-intuitive, but we wanted to launch in Japan first because I feel there really hasn't been a critical driver or device that's driven the adoption of streaming content overall. We felt there was therefore an opportunity to leverage the strengths of PlayStation Vita, which as you know is quite strong in Japan in terms of game line-up, but combine that with the features of a media streaming box, and offer something packaged newly for the Japanese consumer and possibly be at the forefront of creating a new market via that device."
The PS Vita TV has seen a fairly slow launch in Japan at the moment selling just 42,000 units in its first week.
- Shovel Knight arrives on PlayStation platforms this week
- Microsoft shows off Spartan Locke in action in Halo 5: Guardians
- Bethesda E3 press conference invites tease everything but Fallout 4
- New Mass Effect details possibly leaked in an online survey
- Phil Spencer promises a first-party-focused E3 offering from Microsoft
- Valve tackles phishing and scamming on Steam by requiring new users spend 5 USD to make use of all features
- Borderlands franchise director leaves Gearbox
- Blizzard announces a release date for Heroes Of The Storm and an open beta too
- Ultra Street Fighter IV coming to PS4 at the end of May