Midway instil Fear and Respect
Given the immense achievements - both critically and commercially - garnered by Rockstar North's landmark Grand Theft Auto series, I find it surprising that so few titles have attempted to create games of a similar ilk. One of the reasons for this, is the delicate balancing act GTA manages between freedom and direction, a harmony very difficult to achieve and mastered superbly by Rockstar. Now however it appears Midway are laying down the gauntlet with their own direct challenger to the GTA thrown: Fear and Respect.
Being created for the Xbox and PS2, Fear and Respect features an ex-crook returning to a life of crime after jail, to the mean streets of LA. Apparently, actions in game will impact how our on-screen ego is treated - with fear or respect - and director John Singleton has been drafted in to add authenticity and that cinematic quality GTA has by the shedload. Singleton is the man behind Boys N the Hood, a film to which GTA: San Andreas doffs its cap, so his addition to the team could be a real coup for Midway in their attempts to out manoeuvre Rockstar.
Paramount have already optioned the rights to an official Fear and Respect movie, which is a very promising start, and Midway are promising greater details early next year. The title should be out in late 2005.
- Sleeping Dogs follow-up Triad Wars is a PC-only online title
- Latest Destiny patch dials back the difficulty levels in some missions
- Call Of Duty: Advanced Warfare co-op reveal dated for tomorrow
- Blizzard finally cans Titan
- The Xbox One is now cheaper than the PS4 in the UK
- Counter-Strike Nexon: Zombies open beta is live now
- Ultima creator's new game Shroud Of The Avatar gets Greenlit on Steam in just 2 days
- Arrowhead's Gauntlet reboot arrives on PC
- We are now a Steam Curator