David Cage unsure whether it will be PS4 or Xbox One on top this generation
David Cage, the man behind PS3 opuses like Heavy Rain and Beyond: Two Souls has been sharing his opinions on this new phase in the console wars.
The Quantic Dream boss reckons it's pretty difficult to work out who will come out on top at this stage given that Microsoft and Sony's approaches are so different.
“Every cycle is different,” Cage began, “as we saw with the last cycle. While Sony had crushed the competition on the Playstation 2′s cycle, the last cycle saw a rebalancing between the Playstation 3 and the Xbox 360, and, more importantly, the emergence of Nintendo’s Wii, which no one saw coming. The next cycle will probably be very different as well.”
He went on, “First of all – and that’s no surprise, we’re seeing a very significant increase in the consoles’ power. Graphic quality and realism in games will therefore increase considerably. We also see that it’s more and more about ‘connected’ consoles. The social dimension of games will also become more and more important. By the way, we expect consoles that are more open, to the mobile world in particular, with a systematic inclusion of tablets or phones as a ‘second screen’.”
“However, it’s hard to tell whether Sony or Microsoft (or someone else?) will win the cycle. The two manufacturers have visions which are apparently very different, although they also share some important points (such as the importance of the second screen),” Cage concluded.
- Call of Duty: Black Ops III is coming to the PS3 and Xbox 360 after all
- Tomonobu Itagaki's Devil's Third gets a release date
- Adr1ft is coming to PC and consoles at the end of the summer
- EA gives the new Mirror's Edge a name – Mirror's Edge Catalyst
- ZombiU PS4 and Xbox One port reportedly in the works
- Mike Bithell's Volume to be released this August
- Gearbox's new shooter Battleborn gets a pre-E3 trailer
- Steam Controller launches in October, Steam Machines arrive in November
- Gears Of War devs Black Tusk change their name to The Coalition ahead of E3