PS4 arrives in Europe today, PSN slows to a crawl
The PS4 has officially landed for gamers in Europe completing the Western leg of the next-gen pre-Christmas console launch.
My machine arrived this morning from Amazon in good condition and I'm currently managing my downloads using the PS Vita Remote Play while I work on my daily slice of news. I am doing this because PSN is currently running extremely slowly when it comes to downloading. This is due to the fact there are large volumes of players logging on to download the day one firmware update for the console and a number of day one patches for various launch titles.
To Sony's credit though it is working and hasn't crashed yet although some gamers are having trouble logging in to the service. Sony stated on the PlayStation Europe Twitter account, "We are aware some users are experiencing issues logging into PSN on PS4 due to the heavy traffic we are receiving, we're investigating. Thanks for your patience."
My advice is be patient and make sure that you have at least one single-player game on disc to give the console a whirl while your choice of apps and downloadable games are being downloaded. While many of the launch titles do require patching – Killzone: Shadow Fall, Battlefield 4 and Assassin's Creed IV all do – the PS4 will not force you to download the patch before you play so you can still jump in to the offline content while the patches and other content downloads.
Also, unlike the Xbox One, the PS4 will play games straight out of the box so, if you are having trouble connecting to download the day one patch, sling on whatever launch title you've picked up and try again later on the evening.
Most of all, enjoy your PS4 and remember to make full use of the 14 day free trial of PS Plus that you get with the machine. It means that you'll be able to give Housemarque's new shooter Resogun and interesting indie platformer Contrast a go completely free of charge.
- Microsoft announces the feature list for the November Xbox One update
- EA Sports patches in some more missing features for the next-gen versions of NHL 15
- Blizzard begins rolling out a new patch for Starcraft II
- Far Cry 4 Season Pass details announced
- Shinji Mikami: I never use women as objects in my games
- Microsoft releases the first trailer for Halo: Nightfall TV series, first episode to premiere at Halo Fanfest
- Silence – The Whispered World 2 announced for Xbox One
- Titanfall to get its very own Horde mode called Frontier Defense
- John Riccitiello joins Unity as their new CEO