Toby Gard slinks back to Lara
In what many will see as a somewhat humiliating move, the creator of Lara Croft, who left Eidos to form is own studio to develop the lacklustre Galleon, has joined the US development team Crystal Dynamics. This is the studio that is working on the next Tomb Raider game, which was originally developed by Core Design, the team that Toby left after the success of the very first Tomb Raider.
Gard's own studio, Confounding Factor, is wrapping itself up after the release of Galleon, leaving the dejected talent of Gard with nowhere to go. So he's upped sticks and headed over to join Crystal Dynamics, a team that up until now has been most famous for the Soul Reaver games. They got the Tomb Raider reigns after Core made such a pig's ear of the last Lara Croft title, Tomb Raider: Angel of Darkness. According to a spokesperson for publisher Eidos, "Toby will complement the existing talented team creating the next Tomb Raider title. As the creator of the Lara Croft character, he brings a unique perspective to the development process."
- Report finds that the 100 USD tier of Assassin's Creed: Unity's microtransactions is completely unnecessary
- Final Fantasy Type-0 HD gets a new trailer
- Bungie deconstructs their latest Destiny patch, hints at what is coming next
- DayZ creator Dean Hall could join UK studio Improbable
- Shadow Of Mordor arrives on last-gen consoles
- David Braben apologises for ditching Elite: Dangerous's offline mode, outlines refund criteria
- Microsoft celebrates the 1st birthday of the Xbox One with free access to Sunset Overdrive
- Hacker group leaks account details for thousands of PSN, Origin, Windows Live and 2K Game Studios accounts
- RedLynx promises online multiplayer is coming to Trials Fusion early next year