Solid state and hybrid hard drives will speed up the PS4
It seems that, if you think that your PS4 isn't loading fast enough there is something you can do about it.
As with the PS3 before it PS4 owners can upgrade their console's hard drive if they desire more storage or faster load times.
This has been confirmed by the lovely folks over at OPM UK who tested the PS4 with both hybrid and full solid state hard drives to see if there was any improvements at all. In fact, upgrading to a full solid state hard drive can save around six seconds when booting up or loading a Blu-ray game and a whopping 21 seconds when loading a triple-A download game.
The full boot test results are below:
Boot test – time take from pressing the power button to start screen: 6.1 second max saving
- PS4 default 25.6s
- Hybrid drive 20.3s
- SSD 19.5s
Games test – Time to launch a disk-based game (Knack): 6 second max saving
- PS4 default 39s
- Hybrid drive 33s
- SSD 34s
Games test – Time to launch a download game (Killzone Shadow Fall) 21 second max saving
- PS4 default 60s
- Hybrid drive 42s
- SSD 39s
Solid state hard drives are still rather expensive especially when you go are trying to match the 500GB storage capacity that comes with the PS4's default HDD. A 500GB 2.5-in hybrid HDD will set you back around 70 GBP with the equivalent solid state 2.5-in HDD being 480GB in size and around 290 GBP. Don't even ask how much a 512 GB drive is (priced at Overclockers.co.uk).
- Thomas Was Alone gets a release date for PS4 and Wii U
- New Warframe update adds space-flight to the gameplay with Archwing mode
- New poll indicates that people believe online gaming is “the least welcoming space” for women
- CD Projekt RED releases The Trail, the opening cinematic from The Witcher 3
- New Project CARS trailer pulls up to the starting grid
- Far Cry 4 dev says linear games will suffer in the new world of gameplay video sharing
- Almost 1,100 developers, students and journalists sign the new #gamediversity petition embracing diversity in games
- Felicia Day breaks her silence about #Gamergate, is almost immediately doxxed
- Ubisoft announces PC specs for Assassin's Creed: Unity and they're killer