Dragon Age: Inquisition learning from Mass Effect as far as intimate romantic scenes are concerned
BioWare are promising that they will be taking a new direction with the more romantic elements of Dragon Age: Inquisition.
They will be stepping away from the type of scenes in the first game that saw characters stripped down to Victoria Secrets-style underwear in favour of Mass Effect's carefully shadowed and framed soft focus approach.
Cinematic director, Jonathan Perry explained, “We certainly could push those romance scenes in any direction we wanted really. Something that didn’t work well is that we tried more, well I won’t say graphic, but in Dragon Age: Origins we had characters crawling around in their underwear and it looked weird because they were wearing these lacy Victoria Secret panties and outfits which looked out of place.”
“Certainly,” Perry continued, ”when you have these characters interacting with each other in such an intimate way it’s incredibly expensive in terms of animation fidelity and getting it to look like they are really there and touching each other. I think Mass Effect’s scenes were done really well and I think we will take Inquisition’s scenes in that direction. You might have a nude character but they are framed in such a way that parts of them are in shadow, or having characters in various states of undress.”
“We also want to focus not just on the sex itself,” he added, “but also that this is the culmination of spending a lot of time with a character and getting to know them, and so we’re giving scenes a mature and tasteful treatment I guess. We’ll see where it goes for Dragon Age: Inquisition, it’s something that we’re working on right now so we’ll see how these scenes pan out.”
Dragon Age: Inquisition is in development on PS4, Xbox One and PC and is due out in the second half of 2014.
- Elite devs Frontier lays off staff and effectively closes their Canadian studio
- Monstrum system specs announced
- Ever wonder what a week's worth of internet abuse looks like for Feminist Frequency's Anita Sarkeesian?
- The Witness's puzzles are finished but there is still plenty of work to be done on the game
- Dragon's Dogma Online announced for release in Japan
- Life Is Strange episodes will release six weeks apart
- Reptile is returning in Mortal Kombat X
- New Xbox One Controller firmware update will cut the connection time in half
- Battlefield: Hardline beta rumoured to begin next week