'Phatbot' man linked with Half-Life 2 leak
On the same day as an eighteen year-old German lad was arrested for having created the Sasser virus - so another German, a twenty-one year-old programmer from Schoenau, was also seized by police under suspicion of having created the Phatbot Trojan. The man was released on bail after one week, and the arrest came as a result of information provided by the US authorities.
Now a new report proclaims to have established links between the Phatbot creator, believed to be known under the alias Axel G, with the theft of the Half-Life 2 code from Valve last year. Heise.de's investigative journalism allegedly dug up the following IRC log from a Half-Life 2 leak-related page, including the following comment from 'Ago', another alias for Axel G, the Phatbot instigator:
"[Download speed] suxx, especially from valve to germany... i coded myself my own sourcesafe client to get it at full speed... i only used a simple null-session to a pc in valves net, that wasnt directly controlled by valve."
Whether the links between these activities, carried out under various names at various times can be affirmed conclusively is anyone's guess at this stage, but regardless of the truth behind these claims it is interesting to receive such an insight into the world of cyber crime.
- Valve's Chet Faliszek has been confirmed as the first developer session for EGX Rezzed 2015
- One area from Zelda Wii U is as big as the entirety of Skyward Sword
- Telltale's new collaboration is with Mojang, on a Minecraft story game
- Franklin voice actor indicates GTA V story DLC is on the way
- Red Dead Redemption, LA Noire and Bully sequels will come when the time is right says Rockstar
- Telltale teases another collaboration with another game developer
- New Company Of Heroes 2: Ardennes Assault trailer recognizes the 70th anniversary of the Battle of the Bulge
- New Call Of Duty: Advanced Warfare trailer focuses on character customization
- Splash Damage's free-to-play shooter Dirty Bomb coming to Steam in the new year